The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Worked Huggins camp last night at UC.

Three separate jump ball situations out of 6 games worked!....books at home.....please reference NF. Thanks

1. A5 and B5 on the jump both tap the ball basically straight up. B5 then taps the ball again and A5 catches it. A5 then passes to A1 and off we go to the races. Can A5 catch the ball there? We allowed it. Not sure on this one.

2. A5 and B5 on the jump both tap the ball towards the table. A1 attempts to catch it but fumbles the ball out of bounds. Throw in for B...no problem. Arrow to B or A? We gave the Arrow to A. My guess is it comes back to team control. A really never had possession of the ball and B gained that 1st control after their throw in. Am I close?

3. A5 and B5 jump and tip the ball towards B1. B1 catches the ball and passes to B2. My partner then realizes we are going the wrong way and blows everything dead and sez....we lined up the wrong way, we need to re-jump. My question...shouldnt we have waited for a made basket or dead ball to correct direction of play?

Thanks

Larks - 3rd year and still so much to know!
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Larks

Three separate jump ball situations out of 6 games worked!....books at home.....please reference NF. Thanks

1. A5 and B5 on the jump both tap the ball basically straight up. B5 then taps the ball again and A5 catches it. A5 then passes to A1 and off we go to the races. Can A5 catch the ball there? We allowed it. Not sure on this one.

2. A5 and B5 on the jump both tap the ball towards the table. A1 attempts to catch it but fumbles the ball out of bounds. Throw in for B...no problem. Arrow to B or A? We gave the Arrow to A. My guess is it comes back to team control. A really never had possession of the ball and B gained that 1st control after their throw in. Am I close?

3. A5 and B5 jump and tip the ball towards B1. B1 catches the ball and passes to B2. My partner then realizes we are going the wrong way and blows everything dead and sez....we lined up the wrong way, we need to re-jump. My question...shouldnt we have waited for a made basket or dead ball to correct direction of play?

Thanks

Larks - 3rd year and still so much to know!
#1 you kicked. Neither jumper may catch the ball before
the jump ball ends. It ends when it hits the floor, a
non-jumping player, backboard or basket. BTW, neither
player may touch th eball more than twice. (As I reread this I see I should mention if the ball hits the floor
without either jumper touching it you re-do the jump.)
Look in Rule 6.

#2 Done good.

#3, do not re-do the jump. Wait for a dead ball or a
slow down in the action before turning them around.
In your play B keeps the ball, A gets the arrow of course.
Everything remains as it was, score, fouls, time.
This is not a correctable error. I believe there's a
case play on this, I'm not sure.
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

In #2--Did he muff (did not have control) or fumble (did have control)? If it was a fumble, he looses ball and arrow. If it was a muff he looses ball but gets arrow.
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by APHP
In #2--Did he muff (did not have control) or fumble (did have control)? If it was a fumble, he looses ball and arrow. If it was a muff he looses ball but gets arrow.

My thought was no control. Maybe fumble was a bad choice of words. Basically he reached with one hand to stop the ball from going out of bounds, touched it but never got control.

Speaking of control...anyone ever call double dribble when the following occurs...

A1 passes a hot pass to A2. A2 uses one hand to stop the ball which then bounces straight down on the floor, very similar to a dribble and then back into A2's hands. A2 then dribbles.
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Pretty much the same question. Can't be a dribble unless there is control. If there is/was control (or a controlled act) then it is/was a dribble. No control (or a controlled act, then no dribble.
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

player may touch th eball more than twice. (As I reread this I see I should mention if the ball hits the floor
Look in Rule 6.

Neither player may touch the ball twice? If they do is that a violation or a do over?

Thanks
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 03:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Stan

Look in Rule 6.

Neither player may touch the ball twice? If they do is that a violation or a do over?

Thanks
Violation!
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Violation! [/B]
Just to be clear, it's a violation for touching it MORE than twice before the jump ball ends. Stan said it correctly earlier in his post, but then when rephrasing the question, slightly altered it. MORE than twice is a violation. Everybody knows it, but just in case somebody is peeking in for the first time. . .

Chuck
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck,

I was trying to quote Dan_Ref. I don't know how you guys do the " originaly posted by _____ " thing.

Two touches are ok, third time is a violation, right? Does this happen often? I can't say that I've ever seen it called.
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Chuck,

I was trying to quote Dan_Ref. I don't know how you guys do the " originaly posted by _____ " thing.
Ahh, no problem. The quotations appear by clicking the "quote" icon at the bottom of each post. So if you want to take an exact quote from this post, for example, you go to the bottom of my post. There are icons for "profile", "mail", "search", there's a couple others, I think and there's also "quote". If you click on quote, a new screen comes up for posting a new message, and inside the new screen is the entire post that you wanted to quote. Cut out the stuff that you don't want to quote and the rest shows up in your new post as a quotation. Hope that helps.

Chuck
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks

FIBA - you got it right. Either jumper may catch the ball once the jump ball has ended. A jump ball ends once one or more of the following happen: ball touches floor, non-jumping player touches ball, ball touches backboard, ball is tapped at least twice by one (or both) of the jumpers.

Also, in FIBA it is not illegal for the jumpers to tap the ball more than twice. I have seen jumpballs where the two jumpers tap the ball about a dozen times!

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Ahh, no problem.

Thanks, now my posts may be more accurate.
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Drat, it didn't work. I'll try again tomarrow
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
Either jumper may catch the ball once the jump ball has ended. A jump ball ends once one or more of the following happen: ball touches floor, non-jumping player touches ball, ball touches backboard, ball is tapped at least twice by one (or both) of the jumpers.
Oz, does that mean that a jumper can tap it straight up, tap it again, and then catch it on the way down? That doesn't seem to be a very good rule.

Chuck
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
Either jumper may catch the ball once the jump ball has ended. A jump ball ends once one or more of the following happen: ball touches floor, non-jumping player touches ball, ball touches backboard, ball is tapped at least twice by one (or both) of the jumpers.
Oz, does that mean that a jumper can tap it straight up, tap it again, and then catch it on the way down? That doesn't seem to be a very good rule.

Chuck
Yep he sure can. Never seen it happen - if it did you would have to ask what the other jumper was doing.......

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee