The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 12:53pm
Ch1town

HS vs. College

Is it me or does it seems like at the HS level, officials tend to get too caught up PCAs vs. Ball watching. There is a difference, isn’t there??

When working with college officials, I find that their mindset is, to referee their PCA to the best of their ability while seeing as much of the court as possible. Their focus is more on seeing secondary defenders, expanding their PCA when there’s no competitive match-up. Quick whistles on RSBQ plays vs. a patient whistle on plays to the bucket & allowing the player to finish. Knowing that more contact is sure to occur the closer a player gets to the basket, but learning how to sort out whats marginal vs. a foul. They also, might ask why you didn’t have a double whistle when they made a call in the grey area.

Some HS officials, that I know (especially those who don’t attend camps) think it’s ball watching when you double down with them. They want to have the only whistle on the play. I’ve noticed when a partner doesn’t open up to accept the play at L & the contact isn’t marginal, if you wait a sec or two before coming with a whistle, they will get upset & say they were passing on it. But the entire gym including grandma up in the bleachers saw it.

Most of the time you can forget about being like-minded on RSBQ, possession consequence, knowing the impact of your whistle, etc.

Has anybody else noticed some of these differences in the officials mindset from HS to college? Or is it just the particular individuals & not their level of experience?

How do you handle incorporating the things your college buddies teach you with your HS partners without ruffling feathers?
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 01:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think people that have worked college basketball tend to have had to attend more camps and are trained not to do certain things. I do not think it is much more complicated than that. Because if you ball watched at a college camp, you would be called out rather quickly for doing such a thing.

If I am talking to high school officials about things, I do not mention anything about college ball unless it is completely relevant to the discussion. For example if someone is trying to bring a college mechanic to the high school level, but it does not apply to the high school level. Other than that, I do not even go there because people think you are trying to make them feel less then.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Tue Apr 28, 2009 at 01:33pm.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 01:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
How do you handle incorporating the things your college buddies teach you with your HS partners without ruffling feathers?
You don't. You incorporate it into your game.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 01:42pm
Ch1town

I hear you & did not intend for the post to put anybody down, for I am just a mere HS official with aspirations & dreams.

It's just difficult to work on preparing for camps with people who aren't on the same page. Kinda makes for an inconsistent game. ie; once a player gathers the ball, I'm putting them on the line while others say great job getting to the cup, now take the ball out & start over.

But I understand, basically control what you can control...
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Are you a member of Ed Rush's Court Club Ch1Town? I think you'd really enjoy it if you're not.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 02:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
I hear you & did not intend for the post to put anybody down, for I am just a mere HS official with aspirations & dreams.

It's just difficult to work on preparing for camps with people who aren't on the same page. Kinda makes for an inconsistent game. ie; once a player gathers the ball, I'm putting them on the line while others say great job getting to the cup, now take the ball out & start over.

But I understand, basically control what you can control...
All you can do is call your game. Stop worrying about what others do or call. If they are not calling what they are supposed to, it will be exposed. This is how people get advanced all the time. Just do your job and let the chips fall where they may.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 02:59pm
Ch1town

Gotcha JRut, thanks.

bradfordwilkins - So you have made that investment too? I really do enjoy year-round mentoring/coaching... best thing that has happened for my game.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

I would almost guarantee he is part of the court club because the terminology and phrases he is using are rarely if ever used at college camps and I've been to a good amount of those! Quick whistle on RSBQ vs. Patient whistles on drives??? Yeah def. Ed Rush stuff. That's great! I encourage more people to become part of the court club.

Sorry to say it and people can just say I'm bias but most of the things you are speaking of when you say "college" is pro stuff. In my personal opinion, plays to the hoop, in college, need to have more whistles. I believe there are too many plays that involve a lot of illegal contact and yet it goes uncalled for reasons I have tried to understand and yet don't. Granted I don't work big time D1, yes I work some D1 but not big time, so I'm not there and don't get it. Its just good to see that John Adams recognizes that there is indeed a problem cause he is wanting officials to up their play calling to 80 percent! That seems crazy to me. I think it should be higher but once again i don't know how bad it was but apparently it was bad to him. The greatest in the world call in the mid 90s
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

What are RSBQ plays? Also, what is the 'Ed Rush's Court Club?'
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
What are RSBQ plays? Also, what is the 'Ed Rush's Court Club?'
RSBQ plays stands for Rhythm, Speed, Balance, and Quickness. These are plays on the perimeter with a dribbler primarily. If a player is driving to the hoop and any of these are affected then you have a foul, if not its a play on.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Rut made some excellent comments already, but I would like to add a thought.

It seems to me that the biggest difference between the HS and college officials is the amount of contact that triggers a whistle.
Mostly, the HS only officials let too much go, while those work college have had it drilled into them over the past few years that we need to clean up the game. That means control rough play and whistle contact that prevents freedom of movement.
Although the college players are bigger and stronger, I believe that the game is called more precisely because everything is captured on video and the officials are highly scrutinized. At the HS level, one can get away with much more because there isn't the same level of review.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Also, what is the 'Ed Rush's Court Club?'
I second this question, what is the Ed Rush Court Club?
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
I second this question, what is the Ed Rush Court Club?
Learn to Become A Top Level Referee

Honestly, the best investment I've made. First, you get 8 hour-long CDs with top officials at all levels including two with Ed Rush himself, 2 dvds on how to breakdown tape, a few great books, the opportunity to email Ed Rush and have him review your game tape, etc.

My favorite part, hands down, is the monthly calls usually with a guest (for April it was NBA Group Supervisor Jim Wishmier) which last between an hour and two hours... about 1/3rd of it includes review game footage and talking about playcalling/positioning principles. Every other month it includes an interview with a top official or assigner (John Adams was on for March).

It is like $400 but spread out over 4 months... honestly I make $80-100 a night doing 3 games in summer rec ball so thats one less paycheck a month and it pays for itself.

I don't work with them honestly juts someone who has been thrilled with the program (although if you mention my name I think I get like a free CD or something lol).

And yea Ch1 -- I love it and figured using your vocab that you were a member too. Are you going to the camp at Villanova?
Mention my name and I think I get a kick
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah Ed T. is the best out there in the officiating world. His knowledge is unbelievably. I love learning from him. its always a great day when i get to break tape down with him in the room!
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think people that have worked college basketball tend to have had to attend more camps and are trained not to do certain things. I do not think it is much more complicated than that. Because if you ball watched at a college camp, you would be called out rather quickly for doing such a thing.

If I am talking to high school officials about things, I do not mention anything about college ball unless it is completely relevant to the discussion. For example if someone is trying to bring a college mechanic to the high school level, but it does not apply to the high school level. Other than that, I do not even go there because people think you are trying to make them feel less then.

Peace
Agreed, just be a good partner and call your game.