The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Too Old for College??

46 years old and wondering if it's too late. I know I can forget about D1, but what about the rest. 16 years experience, have done some low level college ball but never had time to devote to the higher level.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 07:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I think most colleges will accept you, even DI if you have a HS diploma and a record of good grades. Of course, you'll have to come up with the tuition.

Oh wait - you're talking about officiating.

I dunno. Rut - what do you think?
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 07:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

This really depends on the area you live and the need for college officials and the other officials that have similar experiences. For the most part college officiating is a young man's game when you are trying to break in. I will never say that you have no chance, but it is probably unlikely because an assignor is looking for officials that have a long term self-life as an official.

I would think you should talk to officials in your area and see what is typical. I would think if you can officiate, you can officiate, but age does matter. Not because you cannot work, but because they want people they can use for the long term. And younger people tend to not have the same obligations to prevent them from travel or children that someone older might have to prevent them from leaving on a weekend.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

i think you got a chance. go for it if you want. maybe i'm just saying that because I know some refs in their 60s who can still do it well
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

I think you'll be just fine, if the assignor thinks you're good enough to make his roster, especially considering you've already officiated college basketball.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
This really depends on the area you live and the need for college officials and the other officials that have similar experiences. For the most part college officiating is a young man's game when you are trying to break in.
But Jeff, atcref didn't say whether he/she was male or female. Women do get breaks that men don't, at least sometimes, and if you're female, you're more likely to break in at an older age, depending on the assignor, the area and so forth. But it's true that generally, over 35 or 40 is very unlikely to get started.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
But it's true that generally, over 35 or 40 is very unlikely to get started.
So Juulie, you've got another 10 to 15 years to go before you miss the window?

Of course, my window is closed, locked and boarded up.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:42pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett

Of course, my window is closed, locked and boarded up.
Makes it harder to throw bricks through it, though.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Depends on whether you judge my age by my youthful, smooth and unbelievably flawless skin, or by my 8-year-old granddaughter.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
But Jeff, atcref didn't say whether he/she was male or female. Women do get breaks that men don't, at least sometimes, and if you're female, you're more likely to break in at an older age, depending on the assignor, the area and so forth. But it's true that generally, over 35 or 40 is very unlikely to get started.
Juulie,

I was talking in general. Even with that being said, a young female official in her 20s is going to have a completely different opportunity than someone in their 40s (on the women's side). There are college conferences that might offer opportunities to female officials in their 20s without going to camp yet. On the Men's side, not too many people are getting offered anything without going to camp in my experience. Usually you have to prove you are even worthy to get an opportunity. I also know many female officials that are not getting asked to work any college because they are older (or it seems that way).

Peace
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Juulie,

I was talking in general. Even with that being said, a young female official in her 20s is going to have a completely different opportunity than someone in their 40s (on the women's side). There are college conferences that might offer opportunities to female officials in their 20s without going to camp yet. On the Men's side, not too many people are getting offered anything without going to camp in my experience. Usually you have to prove you are even worthy to get an opportunity. I also know many female officials that are not getting asked to work any college because they are older (or it seems that way).

Peace
Of course, you're right. I'm just saying that a 46-year old woman might have more chance of getting some college than a 46-year old man. At least in some conferences.

Another thing that matters to some extent is how old you appear. There are 55 year old people that don't look a day over 35, and they aren't allowed to ask you. So 46 isn't necessarily the end of the line, although it's probably getting close.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 10:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Of course, you're right. I'm just saying that a 46-year old woman might have more chance of getting some college than a 46-year old man. At least in some conferences.
First of all we really need to stop the comparisons based only on age. Men's and Women's basketball are completely different situations. In the Midwest on the Women's side is really in control of one supervisor. Every little conference at the D1 level and many lower conferences are in the hands of one person. There is no such animal on the Men's side.

For example I know a young female officials that I directed to attend a couple of camps and she got about 20-30 college games right off the bat on the Women's side. There are not such examples in this day and age on the Men's side that I am aware of.

Quote:
Another thing that matters to some extent is how old you appear. There are 55 year old people that don't look a day over 35, and they aren't allowed to ask you. So 46 isn't necessarily the end of the line, although it's probably getting close.
Once again that might be an issue more on the Women's side, I do not see that as an issue on the Men's side. Men's supervisors tend to want to know what age you are, what levels you have worked, where you live and are you capable to travel to most of their conferences which involves your job and other family issues. How you look other than your weight I have almost never heard of that being an issue before the other things I just mentioned. And on the Men's side there are fewer slots and more people trying to fill those slots. This is why I did not say age was the only factor. There is no one factor that any of these supervisors use, but they are looking for "why nots" not "why" when they want to hire people. If they have younger officials capable it is likely they will go with the youth over the older person that does not have the "years" left in their career. They can always groom a younger official to do what they want to do.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Once again that might be an issue more on the Women's side, I do not see that as an issue on the Men's side. Men's supervisors tend to want to know what age you are,
But they are not allowed to ask your age, and if you want to make an issue of it, there is legal grounds. That's my only point. If they are savvy, they won't ask, and they'll have to interpret whatever info they can get, and looks (gray hair, wrinkles, etc) will have some influence. If someone looks 35 and never talks about a family, and never misses a camp or an assignment or a scrimmage, well, the assignor might assume they're available, even if they've got nine kids, two husbands a full-time job and are 60. Image is as important as reality.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This really depends on the area you live and the need for college officials and the other officials that have similar experiences. For the most part college officiating is a young man's game when you are trying to break in. I will never say that you have no chance, but it is probably unlikely because an assignor is looking for officials that have a long term self-life as an official.

I would think you should talk to officials in your area and see what is typical. I would think if you can officiate, you can officiate, but age does matter. Not because you cannot work, but because they want people they can use for the long term. And younger people tend to not have the same obligations to prevent them from travel or children that someone older might have to prevent them from leaving on a weekend.

Peace
JR, hand me your rules book up on the 'self'
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 12:06am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
But they are not allowed to ask your age, and if you want to make an issue of it, there is legal grounds. That's my only point.
Where did you get that from? You are an independent contractor they can ask a lot of things. If you do not tell them you will not get hired. And just like any job if you fill out an application they can find out either way.

Quote:
If they are savvy, they won't ask, and they'll have to interpret whatever info they can get, and looks (gray hair, wrinkles, etc) will have some influence. If someone looks 35 and never talks about a family, and never misses a camp or an assignment or a scrimmage, well, the assignor might assume they're available, even if they've got nine kids, two husbands a full-time job and are 60. Image is as important as reality.
They ask those things and a whole lot more you would never think about. Maybe not directly, but someone wants to give you games where thousands and million dollars are at stake, you better tell them something about yourself and age is a factor.

Peace