The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

Not Our Call

Round these parts, officials have absolutely no clout over whether it's a crew of two or a crew of three. It's basically tournament time only for the crew of three. This is not an area to draw a line in the sand, especially since our association made a collective *** of itself by suing over being asked to watch the kids shake hands after the game.

IN most high schools, the kids are paying user fees for sports. The schools are flat-out not going to increase the officials fees to handle an additional official over ten home games because as it stands they're putting the squeeze on the parents (so much for free public education), selling candy bars and cutting JV or frosh squads to keep a program going.

Whether or not there is another set of eyes off-ball does not matter to programs fighting to stay alive and fighting to have as wide a level of participation as possible. It simply is not that important compared to keeping kids playing.

I would be interested in what coaches say (can't believe I just said that) about what they tell the players about how to deal with it when suddenly confronted with a crew of three at tournament time.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 04:47am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
I would be interested in what coaches say (can't believe I just said that) about what they tell the players about how to deal with it when suddenly confronted with a crew of three at tournament time.
Why do you think a coach would tell their team anything special about the number officials they are "confronted" with?

Coach - "Ok team. Now, all year we've had two officials. Tonight there are going to be three. Watch the off ball screens. Don't be so obvious with your hold - they'll see them now. Watch your travelling. Be on your best behavior - no trash talk. Drive to the basket more now, you're more likely to get a call. They're more likely to see three-seconds with more eyes on the court, so keep moving."

Just curious? As a coach, what would you say?

Last edited by grunewar; Thu Apr 30, 2009 at 06:25am. Reason: typo
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 05:00am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Side Note

My Association has several of us F/JV Officials working three-man during the spring/summer so if the opportunity presents itself during the year next year, and we're good enough, maybe we can move up. Training Committee and Evaluators are there to provide "help and advice."

Well, I worked my first three-man in a while on Monday and man-oh-man do I have work to do. By the end of the second game I was certainly more comfortable, but sheesh. Areas for me to work on - moving to get a better angle, settling into a position, closing down, getting wide, relaxing, trusting my partners more, slowing down, etc.

Worst part for me - twice, TWICE - was a lack of a patient whistle. I'm L, drive from C, BAM! Both times, double-whistle. Both times I didn't wait for my partner to make the call. Both times I signaled too early and stole it. First one was a BLARGE! Ugly! While my call was right, it wasn't my call. My partner(s) were very understanding and helpful.

Good training, but I have work to do and will listen and work hard to improve. Like anything else, the transition will take practice.....my $.02