The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 22, 2009, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

I have to preface this by saying living in a large metropolitan area has some advantages, but even for rural schools, ask the question: What percentage of an AD's budget is for officials? Think of the school's expenses for insurance, uniforms, paying the coaches, trainers, travel, etc. for all their sports, not just basketball, and I would guess official's expenses are a VERY small part of it. So asking for another few dollars a game for 3 officials would not cause the school to file for bankruptcy any time soon.
Old Wed Apr 22, 2009, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

From my area....23 team conference (3 divisions).

Column: Tri-Valley Conference will go to two officials next season - MLive.com
Old Wed Apr 22, 2009, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

2 Person

One huge benefit of 2 person is the ability of the crew to be consistent throughout the game. With 3 you increase the chances of someone not being on the same page.
Old Wed Apr 22, 2009, 09:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown View Post
I have to preface this by saying living in a large metropolitan area has some advantages, but even for rural schools, ask the question: What percentage of an AD's budget is for officials? Think of the school's expenses for insurance, uniforms, paying the coaches, trainers, travel, etc. for all their sports, not just basketball, and I would guess official's expenses are a VERY small part of it. So asking for another few dollars a game for 3 officials would not cause the school to file for bankruptcy any time soon.
Even if there are only 200 people in the stands, it would only cost them each about a quarter more each to pay for a third official. Whining about budgets is just an excuse. We're no more important to the schools than the basketball they play the game with and considerably less important than the uniforms (which they seem to replace far too often).
Old Wed Apr 22, 2009, 10:07am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by refguy View Post
One huge benefit of 2 person is the ability of the crew to be consistent throughout the game. With 3 you increase the chances of someone not being on the same page.
With all due respect, that sounds like a poor excuse for a weak pre-game. IMO, there is no benefit to working 2 person games, 3 is always greater than 2.
Old Wed Apr 22, 2009, 10:11am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by refguy View Post
Disagree. With smaller primary coverage areas and less guessing on calls across the key, drives to basket, etc., there is MORE consistency in three person crews than in two person crews. JMO, of course.
Old Wed Apr 22, 2009, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
3 'man and 2 'man

now everyone can be happy
thanks for a good laugh, and a great suggestion, eyez. I love it!!

With regard to the subject, I think 3 'man is always better than two, although not always practical. Budget may be "just an excuse" in many districts, but there are lower levels and small or poor districts that really truly can't afford that third official.

Rich, specifically, many of the things you say are true. But there are a lot of games played even at the varsity level where there AREN'T 200 fans present, and even the 44 that are there didn't pay to get in, because if the school did charge, literally only 5 or 10 would show up. For larger schools, most middle-class districts and especially at the hs varsity level, I personally think 3 'man would always be an advantage, and worth the cost.
Old Wed Apr 22, 2009, 10:34am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The biggest difference is that I'll accept assignments using 3-person.
Wow. Seems kind of cowardly to not accept two-person assignments. Kinda makes you go "Hmmmmmm".
Old Wed Apr 22, 2009, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
What are our feeling on the advanteges,disadvantages, likes, dislikes, personal preferances of these 2 crews?
I've not worked much 3-whistle yet but I like that I don't have to concentrate on as many things at once.

The trade off for me is the relative lack of movement throughout the game. One reason I enjoy officiating is the exercise. I have found the 3 whistle games almost too easy from a physical standpoint. Related to the lack of motion and lesser court coverage, I have also found it tougher at times to feel involved in the game, leading to lack of concentration.
Old Wed Apr 22, 2009, 10:38am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy View Post
I've not worked much 3-whistle yet but I like that I don't have to concentrate on as many things at once.

The trade off for me is the relative lack of movement throughout the game. One reason I enjoy officiating is the exercise. I have found the 3 whistle games almost too easy from a physical standpoint. Related to the lack of motion and lesser court coverage, I have also found it tougher at times to feel involved in the game, leading to lack of concentration.
If you aren't moving much, then your crew isn't doing it right. You should be moving all the time to get angles on plays, rotate for coverages, etc. When done correctly, three person involves LOTS of movement!
Old Wed Apr 22, 2009, 10:50am
Ch1town

Quote:
I have found the 3 whistle games almost too easy from a physical standpoint. Related to the lack of motion and lesser court coverage, I have also found it tougher at times to feel involved in the game, leading to lack of concentration.
To feel involved:
Double whistles aren't a bad thing, try to double with your partner when you haven't had one in a while & take it to the table.

To sharpen your concentration:
Rotations & position adjustments will assist with improving concentration.

JMO
Old Wed Apr 22, 2009, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
. . . I like that I don't have to concentrate on as many things at once.

The opposite is true for me. I haven't felt good about a 2-whistle game for a few years. I've had them, I just didn't feel good about them afterwards.

In 3-whistle games, the C and T have to move a lot to avoid straight lines and get angles. Since I am focusing on a smaller PCA, my movement increases to always keep this area in view. In 2-whistle, I typically just widen my angle to watch the whole PCA. This leaves me with a bad angle and poor view of some areas, but does let me see the entire area.
Old Wed Apr 22, 2009, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

3-man v. 2-man

3-man, just like everyone else has been saying it is better for the game, players, coaches, and even us officials. The one thing I like about 3-man is that it is a great way to help gain confidence in a young official. Putting a young official into a game with two veterans it gives them the confidence to make the right calls and be in the right position (angle) to make the correct call without having to guess.
Old Wed Apr 22, 2009, 11:53am
Do not give a damn!!

I am so glad I live where I live. We work practically exclusively 3 Person in every conference. There are a couple of situations where people do not work 3 Person, but it is rare. And I will not take games that are not 3 Person. No discounts or concessions to work with 3 officials. This has been the 11 year we have had 3 Person in all playoff games and it makes pre-games a lot easier to discuss things. No need to talk about where to stand, we can talk about plays and situations. It was rocky to work at the start, now almost everyone is on the same page.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 23, 2009, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

Poopie!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
Horse manure reasoning is being used by that conference. I worked one GV game this past season. It was due to a late season addition to the home team's schedule. The calls that I remember the HC from the visiting team complained about would have come from the C had we had one that night. So, I have a hard time believing that a 2 person game in general is the same for all involved that a 3 person game would be.