The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,658
WOW, a MLB first. Two guys from the same team on Opening Day!

Tony Clark and Arizona newcomer Felipe Lopez each homered from both sides of the plate...

Lopez and Clark became the first switch-hitting teammates to homer from both sides of the plate in a game since Jorge Posada and Bernie Williams did it for the New York Yankees on April 23, 2000. It had never been done on Opening Day.

Colorado Rockies vs. Arizona Diamondbacks - Recap - April 06, 2009 - ESPN
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 07:01am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 07:08am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 9,104
Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
An inside-the-park homerun on Opening Day!

Washington Nationals vs. Florida Marlins - Recap - April 06, 2009 - ESPN
Bonifacio hits first Opening Day inside-the-park homer since 1968 in Marlins' win
Quote:
The last inside-the-park home run on Opening Day was hit on April 10, 1968, by Boston's Carl Yastrzemski. Bonifacio said he never heard of the Hall of Famer, but then Yaz probably never heard of the 23-year-old Bonifacio, who's known more for his speed than his bat.
Pretty cool that the last guy to do it was Yaz!
__________________
Any NCAA rules and interpretations in this post are relevant for men's games only!
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 07:11am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,048
I haven't been excited about baseball since the 1981 Reds had the best season record and were excluded from the playoffs.

Last edited by Indianaref; Tue Apr 07, 2009 at 07:58am.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 07:56am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias View Post
The last inside-the-park home run on Opening Day was hit on April 10, 1968, by Boston's Carl Yastrzemski. Bonifacio said he never heard of the Hall of Famer, but then Yaz probably never heard of the 23-year-old Bonifacio, who's known more for his speed than his bat.
How can you be a baseball player and never hear of Carl Yastrzemski
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 08:34am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Ahh...the sun rose in the east this morning, and the Annual Baseball thread has started.

Life is good.
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 08:45am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
An inside-the-park homerun on Opening Day!

Washington Nationals vs. Florida Marlins - Recap - April 06, 2009 - ESPN
Bonifacio hits first Opening Day inside-the-park homer since 1968 in Marlins' win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
WOW, a MLB first. Two guys from the same team on Opening Day!

Tony Clark and Arizona newcomer Felipe Lopez each homered from both sides of the plate...

Lopez and Clark became the first switch-hitting teammates to homer from both sides of the plate in a game since Jorge Posada and Bernie Williams did it for the New York Yankees on April 23, 2000. It had never been done on Opening Day.

Colorado Rockies vs. Arizona Diamondbacks - Recap - April 06, 2009 - ESPN
Strange and exciting things already happening this season.

I wonder what else can happen that hasn't happened in a long time?...
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 08:55am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
An inside-the-park homerun on Opening Day!

Washington Nationals vs. Florida Marlins - Recap - April 06, 2009 - ESPN
Bonifacio hits first Opening Day inside-the-park homer since 1968 in Marlins' win
Enjoy it while you can, there are still 159 games left.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 08:58am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Midlothian, VA
Posts: 633
StL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
A real heart breaker to kick off the season.
While watching the MLB network yesterday, only ONE (Sean Casey - I think) even picked the Cardinals to make the playoffs. It looks to be a long season. BUT, there is hope - remember 2006!!
__________________
THE FLY IS OPEN, LET'S GO PEAY
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 09:02am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Yeah, with hockey in its stretch drive and all.
Hey, get your own off topic thread.

You're welcome, Chuck.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 09:02am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
WOW, a MLB first. Two guys from the same team on Opening Day!

Tony Clark and Arizona newcomer Felipe Lopez each homered from both sides of the plate...

Lopez and Clark became the first switch-hitting teammates to homer from both sides of the plate in a game since Jorge Posada and Bernie Williams did it for the New York Yankees on April 23, 2000. It had never been done on Opening Day.

Colorado Rockies vs. Arizona Diamondbacks - Recap - April 06, 2009 - ESPN
Yay.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 09:11am
Esteemed Participant
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 4,775
And even more impressive than all this other drivel - the Mariners have a winning record!! And Griffey not only hit a home run, he made it through an entire game without being injured!!
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 09:13am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
And even more impressive than all this other drivel - the Mariners have a winning record!! And Griffey not only hit a home run, he made it through an entire game without being injured!!
See...strange and wonderful things are happening.

So, he projects out to having 162 homers this season? Not bad for a possible Hall-of-Famer.
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 09:22am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
If Griffey makes it through his career without being mentioned in connection with steroids, that'll be the only record he needs to get into the Hall.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 09:59am
Esteemed Participant
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 4,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If Griffey makes it through his career without being mentioned in connection with steroids, that'll be the only record he needs to get into the Hall.
Well I guess you just ruined that, didn't you?!!?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WARNING! NOT a pre-season annual baseball thread!! (with apologies to you-know-who) Dan_ref Basketball 18 Wed Mar 19, 2008 06:03pm
Warning!! Danger!! Annual Off-topic Baseball Thread '07!! Beware!! ChuckElias Basketball 1764 Wed Jan 30, 2008 03:32pm
WARNING!! Annual Off-Topic Baseball Thread. Esteemed Members BEWARE!! ChuckElias Basketball 1299 Sat Mar 31, 2007 07:58pm
WARNING!!! WARNING!! Annual off-topic baseball thread!! ChuckElias Basketball 583 Sat Jan 21, 2006 05:28pm
WARNING!! ANNUAL OFF TOPIC BASEBALL THREAD!!! Dan_ref Basketball 16 Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:32pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1