The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 11:21am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up Never had one like this before

Spring league started this past weekend and on Sunday morning, I had three MS girls games. The first was like no other I've ever had. Both "teams" were from the same program. The two coaches just split the girls up before the game into two teams, almost at random. During the game, both coaches were helping both teams and applauding good plays regardless of which player made them, plus coaching any of the girls when they made a mistake - and without yelling at them! During timeouts, all the girls gathered around both coaches to listen to them.

It was really more like an internal scrimmage. Neither coach said a single word about the calls because they really didn't care. They just wanted to make sure none of the girls got hurt. The coaches thanked us and shook our hands after the game - and they were sincere about it. One of them asked about a rule interpretation regarding a backcourt violation but it wasn't regarding a call in this game, it was just something he wanted to know. Again, he thanked me for taking the time after the game to explain it to him.

Without a doubt, it was the most enjoyable game I've worked in a long time. Note for you local guys - all the girls and coaches were from Oregon City.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 11:56am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Spring league started this past weekend and on Sunday morning, I had three MS girls games. The first was like no other I've ever had. Both "teams" were from the same program. The two coaches just split the girls up before the game into two teams, almost at random. During the game, both coaches were helping both teams and applauding good plays regardless of which player made them, plus coaching any of the girls when they made a mistake - and without yelling at them! During timeouts, all the girls gathered around both coaches to listen to them.

It was really more like an internal scrimmage. Neither coach said a single word about the calls because they really didn't care. They just wanted to make sure none of the girls got hurt. The coaches thanked us and shook our hands after the game - and they were sincere about it. One of them asked about a rule interpretation regarding a backcourt violation but it wasn't regarding a call in this game, it was just something he wanted to know. Again, he thanked me for taking the time after the game to explain it to him.

Without a doubt, it was the most enjoyable game I've worked in a long time. Note for you local guys - all the girls and coaches were from Oregon City.
And even without your aversion to OT, they managed not to tie each other up and force OT?
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

At what point did you wake up?
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

That's what I was thinking.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 02:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
I dunno. I was starting to think I was on "Life On Mars"!

Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 07:17pm
We don't rent pigs

Many years ago in an 11-12 boys rec tournament, one school had two teams, both coached by the same guy. I guess it was one biiiig team, divided in half for the occasion. The teams were on opposite sides of the bracket, and both made it to the finals. Between quarters they talked in one big huddle.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 08:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Many years ago in an 11-12 boys rec tournament, one school had two teams, both coached by the same guy. I guess it was one biiiig team, divided in half for the occasion. The teams were on opposite sides of the bracket, and both made it to the finals. Between quarters they talked in one big huddle.
So when they played each other in the finals, did the coach just put a chair on the division line? Did he get "double" the number of timeouts? If he had picked up two technicals, could he have stayed in until he got another two?
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I dunno. I was starting to think I was on "Life On Mars"!
I notice from your image link that you've included no identifier. You know you can get paid for posting promotional images on the web, right?
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What is going on here...we cannot have this type of fun and educational experience for our young athletes. This must stop immediately...coaches coaching, player playing, and referees...still missing calls...some things never change.
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 11:40am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
I notice from your image link that you've included no identifier. You know you can get paid for posting promotional images on the web, right?
They wouldn't pay me. The series is already over. BTW - the final episode was one of the most brilliantly written final episodes I've ever seen in a television series, and I've been watching television since the early 50s (and boy, are my eyes tired).
Old Wed Apr 08, 2009, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The sad part of all of this is that this situation is newsworthy.