View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Spring league started this past weekend and on Sunday morning, I had three MS girls games. The first was like no other I've ever had. Both "teams" were from the same program. The two coaches just split the girls up before the game into two teams, almost at random. During the game, both coaches were helping both teams and applauding good plays regardless of which player made them, plus coaching any of the girls when they made a mistake - and without yelling at them! During timeouts, all the girls gathered around both coaches to listen to them.

It was really more like an internal scrimmage. Neither coach said a single word about the calls because they really didn't care. They just wanted to make sure none of the girls got hurt. The coaches thanked us and shook our hands after the game - and they were sincere about it. One of them asked about a rule interpretation regarding a backcourt violation but it wasn't regarding a call in this game, it was just something he wanted to know. Again, he thanked me for taking the time after the game to explain it to him.

Without a doubt, it was the most enjoyable game I've worked in a long time. Note for you local guys - all the girls and coaches were from Oregon City.

What is going on here...we cannot have this type of fun and educational experience for our young athletes. This must stop immediately...coaches coaching, player playing, and referees...still missing calls...some things never change.