The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Admistered Jump Ball Incorrectly

Last weekend, JH travel tournament.

I was the U in a 2 whistle game. First OT, we allowed the jumpers to line up incorrectly. Even thought the jumpers were facing the wrong way, the players went towards the correct basket. The coach for the team with the ball began yelling "wrong basket" to his players. It created confusion for the players and several of them stopped. The player with the ball made an uncontested basket in the proper basket.

After the basket, the players all stopped and looked at us. This is about the tiime that I realized what we had done. I blew the ball dead and went to explain to the coaches. My ruling was; we made a mistake on the jump ball, the basket stands and we played on.

I know the "stay focused" thing. This was our third game in a row and I got caught not paying attention. Ignoring that we could/should have prevented it, is there any ruling other than the one we made? IMO, not correctable, no do overs, play on.

Another funny thing. All OT's after the first OT were 1:00. Almost like a "sudden death." I had never seen this before.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately I've done that before...you handled it correctly!
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 11:29am
#thereferee99

In your sitch (3rd game in a row, going to OT) I become one talkative MF, with my partner and mostly for myself.

"Extension of the 4th period, each team gets an additional full, direction stays the same. How many team fouls? Time outs? Just a 1 minute break, and lets go."