The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting play in Penn St.-Florida game

Loose ball in Penn State's backcourt. Two PSU players going after it, Blue 33 lowers his shoulder and football blocks the Florida player going after the ball.

Probably a HTBT play, but I would have called an intentional foul on Blue 33.

Did anyone else see this play?
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

He made a conscious decision to screen the opposing player away from the ball so that his teammate could get it.

There is no doubt that he looked at the approaching opponent and braced for the contact by lowering his shoulder in that direction.

He did seem to get to his spot on the floor first. The questions are was he stationary and did he give the moving opponent proper time and distance to avoid him.

The official had to make a decision between an illegal screen (blocking foul) and a charging foul (pushing) by the opponent who ran through him.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
He made a conscious decision to screen the opposing player away from the ball so that his teammate could get it.

There is no doubt that he looked at the approaching opponent and braced for the contact by lowering his shoulder in that direction.

He did seem to get to his spot on the floor first. The questions are was he stationary and did he give the moving opponent proper time and distance to avoid him.

The official had to make a decision between an illegal screen (blocking foul) and a charging foul (pushing) by the opponent who ran through him.
It looked to me like he leaned into the player, and was definitely not stationary
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
It looked to me like he leaned into the player, and was definitely not stationary
He absolutely leaned towards the opponent, but is that in itself illegal? One could construe that action as bracing for the imminent contact.

Do you believe that leaning one's upper body slightly, not well out of one's vertical area, is illegal?
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Well, in real-time, I see how the official didn't make a call on the pick.

Looking at the replay, however, he was not bracing, he was looking to dish out contact. Of course the official didn't have the benefit of replay, so I guess we'll just credit Danny Morrissey for getting away with one
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 01:36am
In Time Out

I saw it live and I thought the foul was going to be on the Penn St. player. I didn't think the Florida player really had a chance to get the ball but he never had a chance to avoid that hit. tough little buggers out there
the NIT has some good games. St. Mary's vs San Diego St. should be fun to watch.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
. St. Mary's vs San Diego St. should be fun to watch.
GO GAELS!!!! (BTW... as an alum I am still peeved that they got snubbed)
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 08:52am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie View Post
GO GAELS!!!! (BTW... as an alum I am still peeved that they got snubbed)

What year did you graduate?
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Loose ball in Penn State's backcourt. Two PSU players going after it, Blue 33 lowers his shoulder and football blocks the Florida player going after the ball.

Probably a HTBT play, but I would have called an intentional foul on Blue 33.

Did anyone else see this play?
saw the play live and the ensuing replays...the calling official got the call right. calling an intentional foul on #33 Blue would not have been a good way to handle this play (if you want to argue that a foul should have been called on #33 Blue - that's your judgement...but definitely NOT an intentional foul).
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

I agreed with the foul being on the florida player and the florida player probably would (and should) have gotten a T for kicking the guy from PSU. I think the official turned away to report right as it happened. Nice job by the PSU guy to keep his cool.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20 View Post
I agreed with the foul being on the florida player and the florida player probably would (and should) have gotten a T for kicking the guy from PSU. I think the official turned away to report right as it happened. Nice job by the PSU guy to keep his cool.
The kick was so discreet I doubt anyone of the officials saw it.

I still think the PSU guy should have gotten the foul. To me, he obviously set an illegal screen.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I still think the PSU guy should have gotten the foul. To me, he obviously set an illegal screen.
I think one of the things you can look at as to determine who was the cause of the contact or who bears the biggest responsibility of the contact is to watch where the players fall (which direction)....in this case the speed/momentum/angle of the Florida player caused him to crash into and "thru" the Penn St player (think of an illegal block in the back in football). the PSU player fell forward on this face after being contacted from behind.....

after a hard collision like this...take a second and see which direction the players fall - that may give you a clue who to call the foul on....
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What makes you say it was obviously an illegal screen?
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Well from what I remember, I saw the PSU player look at the Florida player, then deliberately lower his shoulder and impede the progress of the Florida player
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well from what I remember, I saw the PSU player look at the Florida player, then deliberately lower his shoulder and impede the progress of the Florida player
did he deliberately lower his shoulder to create contact or did he brace himself for the collision that was about to happen from the out-of-control Florida player?