The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

WKU/Gon end of game

That is why players should be coached to call their own timeouts.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
I don't disagree and I hate the rule allows coaches to request timeout.

However, the new Lead has got to be looking to the bench, anticipating that the coach might want a timeout. With .9 left, it probably wouldn't have made any difference but he didn't and he should have.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The WKU player near the endline and left block did signal for a TO he was looking at the C and his back was to old L new T. For my bracket I am happy with the outcome but there should have been a granted TO with ~1.1 sec. on the clock.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I don't disagree and I hate the rule allows coaches to request timeout.

However, the new Lead has got to be looking to the bench, anticipating that the coach might want a timeout. With .9 left, it probably wouldn't have made any difference but he didn't and he should have.
Agree as well, but the thrower in should of called TO (clock stopped) instead of hastily passing it in, making it tough for the officials to grant a TO thats being called behind them.

My ultimate point is that the players are so used to the coaches calling TO nowadays that game awareness in these situations by the players is becoming a lost art.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
The WKU player near the endline and left block did signal for a TO he was looking at the C and his back was to old L new T. For my bracket I am happy with the outcome but there should have been a granted TO with ~1.1 sec. on the clock.
Maybe, but again, the thrower in threw it in so fast I don't fault the officials for not getting any TO granted.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 10:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'll blame my bracket failure on the refs. Woo Hoo!
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agree as well, but the thrower in should of called TO (clock stopped) instead of hastily passing it in, making it tough for the officials to grant a TO thats being called behind them.

My ultimate point is that the players are so used to the coaches calling TO nowadays that game awareness in these situations by the players is becoming a lost art.
I agree with your post but would also have to add the officials need to have game awareness that the coach might be calling a timeout as well. When this happens in my games if I can glance at the coach before the inbound pass, I will do it. I'm not sure if any of the officials could've done it in this situation but I sure would've tried.

In the end the players on the floor were the ones who decided the outcome of the game with their actions.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
the new Lead has got to be looking to the bench
In my pregame as R, I state that in the last minute, try and keep the C opposite the table as much as possible and for the C (or whoever is opposite table) to look at the benches immediately on a made basket or change of possession. This isn't perfect but it needs to be a reflex action.

Several years ago we had a game where I was trail table-side, there was a backcourt steal (around the FT line, making me the new lead) and then a bucket to win with about 3-4 seconds left, then the clock ran out on the inbounds. Before the steal, the offensive player tried to dribble between 2 defenders and lost the ball, thus that coach wanted me to call a foul (that wasn't there). Though he had a timeout, the Center official told me in the locker room that he looked for the coach to call a TO, but all he did was want to scream about a foul not being called. My partner said if the coach had made ANY gesture even remotely resembling a timeout request, he would have blown the whistle and given it to him, but all he did was rant with his arms at 10 and 2 o'clock!
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
but there should have been a granted TO with ~1.1 sec. on the clock.
Why? The clock showed :09 when Gonzaga's player release his shot.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Surely you don't mean when the shot was released but rather when the shot cleared the net.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 12:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
My partner said if the coach had made ANY gesture even remotely resembling a timeout request, he would have blown the whistle and given it to him, but all he did was rant with his arms at 10 and 2 o'clock!
Did you tell the coach you were now on Daylight Savings Time and he should have had his arms at 11 and 3 o'clock?
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
One of the replays that was shown, they showed the shot clock graphic superimposed beside the rim. It appeared to me that approximately 1.1 was showing when it cleared the basket. I did not ever see a stop action shot the showed the clock and ball clearing the basket. If that was shown on other coverage then I was wrong. nbd
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One of the replays that was shown, they showed the shot clock graphic superimposed beside the rim. It appeared to me that approximately 1.1 was showing when it cleared the basket. I did not ever see a stop action shot the showed the clock and ball clearing the basket. If that was shown on other coverage then I was wrong. nbd
I notated the time in my post incorrectly. I meant to write that the clock showed 00:00.9 at the release...at least according to my tivo'd replay.