The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Ejection in Clemson/Michigan game

Baseball guy here. Being an official I know better than to trust the announcers. Can one of you explain to me why the crew didn't look at the monitor before shooting the FTs. Also, if Clemson wins the game can he play in the next game? Any comments on the EJ would be great, too.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 07:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadman15241 View Post
Baseball guy here. Being an official I know better than to trust the announcers. Can one of you explain to me why the crew didn't look at the monitor before shooting the FTs. Also, if Clemson wins the game can he play in the next game? Any comments on the EJ would be great, too.
It was originally called an intentional foul. The same result of number of FTs and point they put the ball was the same. I have a feeling that someone probably suggested the player should be ejected. So it really did not matter (game wise) what time they looked at the monitor before or after the FTs. I can only assume that someone mentioned this after the fact so they looked at the monitor to be sure.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Was this the kid that threw the elbow? I saw it come intentional and then they switched games...
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins View Post
Was this the kid that threw the elbow? I saw it come intentional and then they switched games...
Yep, they went to the monitor after the FTs and ejected him. The announcers then said that because it was an elbow and not a fist he can play in next game if Clemson wins. I have no clue if that is true or not.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

They've been cracking down on elbows all year.

Yes, had Clemson won, he could have played. It was not fighting.

Moot point now.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Clemson's next game Nov 1, 2010!
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

they have the right to go to the monitor to upgrade the foul - in this particular situation they should go to the monitor to determine if a punch was thrown.
they should have gone before the free throws, to make the determination but as someone said previously - the penalties regarding FT and possession here the same so it was no big deal, enforcement wise. It will be in the locker room afterward procedureally.
The official could have called the foul then gone to the monitor to determine if it was intentional or flagrant, or if a punch was thrown thus being a fight - since the intentional was already called they just were looking for the fight.
An thrown elbow could be considered a fight under certain circumstances - I do not see it here - just a flagrant.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

I was at the game and the alternate official watched the play and got the attention of the trail during the FT. I was about 10 rows behind the alternate.

The biggest surprise to me was Clemson coach was looking over the referees shoulder at the play. He got to watch at least one rendition of it before being moved away by the R. The other surprise was that the video display in the arean started to show the play and then immediately pulled before the foul happened.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
I was at the game and the alternate official watched the play and got the attention of the trail during the FT.
I just checked the CCA guidelines for the Alternate Official (Women's)- it mentions help with enforcing the Fighting rule on the court, but does not mention looking at the monitor and calling the officials over to make a descision on it.

that seems Suspect to me - the responsibility of the Alternate is to assist with calls already made - I am not sure that after the FT's were taken they should doing that.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
I just checked the CCA guidelines for the Alternate Official (Women's)- it mentions help with enforcing the Fighting rule on the court, but does not mention looking at the monitor and calling the officials over to make a descision on it.

that seems Suspect to me - the responsibility of the Alternate is to assist with calls already made - I am not sure that after the FT's were taken they should doing that.
He definitely spoke with the trail official and then they looked at monitor.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post

Having been lucky enough to be an alternate a couple of times, I've been told by the crews I've worked with that the alternate is just as important as the three on the floor. If the alternate has information that can help the crew on the floor, it is their responsibility to supply it, whether it's information on a clock issue, help on a rule, observing issues with benches, etc. If I saw something that needed to be corrected on the floor, the crew expected me to supply that help.

(Used with permission.)