The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

AssignByWeb problems

I was speaking with a friend of mine tonight who noted that payment facilitator AssignByWeb is having some major problems in getting payments out to officials this year. This goes back to football season and has now moved into basketball season.

Anybody have any info on this issue? This does not directly affect me, but it would affect several officials I know. Any legal remedies being contemplated? Any response from ABW or the conferences or schools that are contracted with them for payments?

Z
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 08:32am
If you need me, text me!

The d3 conference I work in has had major problems with this. I worke games on 11/21 and 11/22 at a school that uses ABW payment system. The checks arrived in mid January and late January. They were dated December 15. I then worked a game at the same school on 1/3. Last week the supervisor emailed the entire staff asking about games for which we had not been paid at this school and one other. I replied...Still haven't heard anything back though.

Last year this was an extremely quick payment method but this year the wheels have definitely fallen off. Hopefully they can solve the problem soon and get payments out. I know a few people who are out 5 or more game fees.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Is it a software problem? Usually junk in, junk out applies.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Is it a software problem? Usually junk in, junk out applies.
Reminds me of a joke: how many software programmers does it take to change a light bulb? Answer: none, that's a hardware problem.
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone have any information or update on AssignByWeb's payroll program?
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 01:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Reminds me of a joke: how many software programmers does it take to change a light bulb? Answer: none, that's a hardware problem.
I used to work for a company that did computer certification training. I had a room full of Microsoft engineers one time and I told this joke:

How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a light bulb? Answer: it doesn't matter - they just get Bill Gates to declare darkness as the industry standard.

They laughed so hard their pocket protectors fell out.
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 02:36pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I used to work for a company that did computer certification training. I had a room full of Microsoft engineers one time and I told this joke:

How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a light bulb? Answer: it doesn't matter - they just get Bill Gates to declare darkness as the industry standard.

They laughed so hard their pocket protectors fell out.
Was there snorting and guffawing along with that laughter?
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocreferee View Post
The d3 conference I work in has had major problems with this. I worke games on 11/21 and 11/22 at a school that uses ABW payment system. The checks arrived in mid January and late January. They were dated December 15. I then worked a game at the same school on 1/3. Last week the supervisor emailed the entire staff asking about games for which we had not been paid at this school and one other. I replied...Still haven't heard anything back though.

Last year this was an extremely quick payment method but this year the wheels have definitely fallen off. Hopefully they can solve the problem soon and get payments out. I know a few people who are out 5 or more game fees.
Sounds like a ponzie scheme.
Is this run by Bernie Madoff?
Old Sat Apr 04, 2009, 06:00am
Official Forum Member

Thnx
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Still looking for anyone with information on ABW payroll program.

I have games from January that remain unpaid.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 11:08am
If you need me, text me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archetype View Post
Still looking for anyone with information on ABW payroll program.

I have games from January that remain unpaid.

So do I. Haven't heard anything in a while from my supervisor. Hopefully the $ is coming soon.
Old Sat Jun 06, 2009, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

From today's Boston Globe:
The payroll service that many colleges use to pay officials, an offshoot of AssignByWeb, owes hundreds of thousands of dollars to officials. The colleges paid the money upfront to PaymentsFirst, which was supposed to use the cash to pay officials after they worked games.

Old Sat Jun 06, 2009, 07:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Just think - one of the rec leagues I work pays us at halftime of that game, usually by check, but sometimes in cash.
Old Sat Jun 06, 2009, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
The payroll service that many colleges use to pay officials, an offshoot of AssignByWeb, owes hundreds of thousands of dollars to officials. The colleges paid the money upfront to PaymentsFirst, which was supposed to use the cash to pay officials after they worked games.

This doesn't sound like a software problem. It sounds like an integrity problem by the folks running that company.
Old Sat Jun 06, 2009, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
The NCAA has just taken a huge step in this area. It bought 2/3 interest in both Arbiter and RefPay and will be using those to assign and deliver payment to officials in various sports and conferences come this Fall.

I'm not making judgment on this decision just delivering the information.