The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Looking for association near champaign, IL

I am looking to start officiating again in central IL. I moved to champaign to start a full time job with the IL National Guard in mid 07. Most of my time was spent preparing for a deployment I am now on in Afghanistan. Once I return sometime in late september 09' I would like to start doing basketball again. I have officiated Highschool(1995-2000), some small college in IL, and a few pro-am tournaments and Highschool in IN. When I was active in IL I was a member of the Rockford Officials Association(ROA). When do I need to apply for basketball and how could I start the process from over here? I would assume I would need to apply before I return to the states. My issue would be the test since I have not been active for a few years other than AAU in the summer in indy which wouldn't matter to anyone. Thanks for any help

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
I am looking to start officiating again in central IL. I moved to champaign to start a full time job with the IL National Guard in mid 07. Most of my time was spent preparing for a deployment I am now on in Afghanistan. Once I return sometime in late september 09' I would like to start doing basketball again. I have officiated Highschool(1995-2000), some small college in IL, and a few pro-am tournaments and Highschool in IN. When I was active in IL I was a member of the Rockford Officials Association(ROA). When do I need to apply for basketball and how could I start the process from over here? I would assume I would need to apply before I return to the states. My issue would be the test since I have not been active for a few years other than AAU in the summer in indy which wouldn't matter to anyone. Thanks for any help
Check this list ...............

IHSA Officials Associations
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 11:04am
M.A.S.H.

Illini Basketball Officials Association
IBOA Home Page

I will warn though.... this is the association that M&M and kenref belong to!
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Illini Basketball Officials Association
IBOA Home Page

I will warn though.... this is the association that M&M and kenref belong to!
Hey...watch it!

j51969, we will look forward to your safe return. Once you get here, I'm sure you are already aware of the process to get registered with the IHSA. Also, you can contact the IBOA about membership and dates of meetings. The IBOA is a "basketball-only" association, so if you work other sports you can contact the Champaign Officials Association. The IBOA usually meets once/month during the basketball season.

And, in spite of tjones knowing about this association, we do not require that you have all the equipment he carries with him.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 03:45am
Official Forum Member

M&M do you think it will be an issue getting licensed for the 2009 - 2010 season based on my location? I would imagine I would have to re-test before I am actually back in the US. Do you know anyone at state that I could talk to about doing it here and sending it forward. I could pay with no problem here, but the test could be an issue.

Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
M&M do you think it will be an issue getting licensed for the 2009 - 2010 season based on my location? I would imagine I would have to re-test before I am actually back in the US. Do you know anyone at state that I could talk to about doing it here and sending it forward. I could pay with no problem here, but the test could be an issue.

Here is a link to their contact page that includes a number of contacts who can probably help you out.

IHSA - Contact the IHSA
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think there's any hurry to take the test and such before you get back, unless you're planning on doing school games the same week you move back.

When you send in your registration fee, the IHSA will send you the basketball packet, which includes the rule book, case book, and test. The test, if you remember, is a 100-question open-book test. Once you finish the test, send it back to them, and if you pass (I think with at least an 80), they will send you your patch. So, if you're coming back in Sept., I would think you can complete the registration, get the packet, and complete the test in plenty of time before it is due (which is sometime in late November). The test is also given on-line these days, which should make the timing a little easier for you.

If you still think you need the info sent over there, mikesears did give you the link for the IHSA contact info and they should be able to help you out.

Good luck, and keep checking back here!

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

I didn't know if you had to do the test at a testing site. That will make it easier for me. I don't have any ambitions for a level of play. But I think with my experience I could be a mentor at the JV level, which would also give people a chance to see me work. I can work on a need basis. There all always people who have things come up and I could fill in like that. Does the IBOA assign games? In Indiana we had to contract with the school on our own in most occasions, unless you did games in the city where and associaition had some to give out. In Rockford our association was an assigner for a lot of schools so that make it easier. You guys have been alot of help. I can't wait to get back.

Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Most of the schools in the area hire their own officials. The IBOA doesn't schedule games, but there is a feature on their website that allows member officials to post their open dates in case someone (AD or other official) is looking for an official for that date.

(Used with permission.)