The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Uconn vs Syracuse (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52239-uconn-vs-syracuse.html)

ref83 Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:21pm

Uconn vs Syracuse

End of regulation, 1.4 seconds remain. Syracuse inbounding on uconn endline.
Thabett covering throw-in, he runs over Syracuse screen. No call!! Can you believe it? A short time before this Thabett lowers shoulder and knocks over Syracuse defender. No call! What about the time-out Thabett called? He got posession on his belly, rolls over on his back and calls time-out.. Is this not a travel? What about the Syracuse break away and Syracuse player trailing knocks Uconn defender off his feet. Again no call!!!!! Any coments???

BktBallRef Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:23pm

Didn't think the contact on the foul was a throw-in.

Didn't see the timeout rollover play.

Thought there should have been a foul on the moving screen on the breakaway.

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...oting-fts.html

NewNCref Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:31pm

Today is Friday the 13th, and Sunday is the Ides of March, is this like a fanboy full moon? Does it cause normal people to turn into fanboys?

As for my comments:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ref83 (Post 587808)
Thabett covering throw-in, he runs over Syracuse screen. No call!! Can you believe it?

Didn't see it, but just because the defender is knocked down while setting a screen DOES NOT make it a foul. If he played through the defender, then maybe. But just because the screener fell (possibly hard) does not make it a foul

Quote:

A short time before this Thabett lowers shoulder and knocks over Syracuse defender. No call!

Lowering of the shoulder is nowhere illegal. Check the book.

Quote:

What about the time-out Thabett called? He got posession on his belly, rolls over on his back and calls time-out.. Is this not a travel?

The time-out, I think was not called by Thabeet,but rather by his teammates, and therefore he was granted the timeout before he rolled over. Maybe not, but it's what it looked like to me.

Quote:

What about the Syracuse break away and Syracuse player trailing knocks Uconn defender off his feet. Again no call!!!!!

No way this was a foul. The contact was not from behind, it was from the side while both were executing legal moving screens.

NewNCref Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 587809)
Thought there should have been a foul on the moving screen on the breakaway.

Just curious as to why? Did you think the contact was from behind?

ref83 Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:39pm

No, I think it was a good no call. But Thabett mowed over and through the Syracuse screener at the end of regulation..

NewNCref Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref83 (Post 587815)
No, I think it was a good no call. But Thabett mowed over and through the Syracuse screener at the end of regulation..

Two big time DQ-ing fouls in the 4th OT, but both easy/good calls I thought. One PC and another during rebounding action, but like I said, both pretty obvious.

Either way, this is one heck of a game, though Jamie Luckie must be a terrible official like everyone says. What kind of official would let a game go 4 OTs?!?!?!:p

budjones05 Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:46pm

All I know is so far, we have 4 OT's. I guess Padgett isn't working this one

budjones05 Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:49pm

Take that back, 5 OTs!

zm1283 Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:50pm

Great no-call at the end of the 4th OT. Syracuse was really wanting a foul but they just missed the layup then got swatted.

bradfordwilkins Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:52pm

I was thinking Padgett is going to wake up and accidently turn on the TV... and think he has having his worst nightmare!

What a great game (officiating as well as players!)

zm1283 Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:53pm

Great PC call by the C against Syracuse there.

bradfordwilkins Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:57pm

I've really been impressed by all 3 of these officials. Really great game called (I know I just said it but they are really on top of their game... 5th overtime...

Do Division 1 officials get overtime pay? lol

NYBLUE Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:01am

I've been watching since the opening tip 4 somethin hours ago.
An epic game!

Great job by the officials to get the call right at the end of regulation (devendorf's winning 3 that really wasn't).
These guys have done a superb job considering they've been on the floor for a 65 minute game....and counting.

FWIW, I thought Thabeet traveled when he rolled over to call the TO, but then again I'm a SU grad with a huge roooting interest here.

budjones05 Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:04am

6 OT's

NYBLUE Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:06am

This may become a battle of walk-ons :eek: