The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 10:43pm
In Time Out

NCAA- FT, offensive foul

last ft released, then there was an offensive foul before the ball goes in. I think they didn't count the basket. Not 100% sure. 1 and 1 for the other team
In nfhs does it count? I'm guessing no even though the ball hit the rim.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

If the ball is released, the FT counts.

If the ball is not released, the FT is awarded with the lane cleared.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 07:27am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
last ft released, then there was an offensive foul before the ball goes in. I think they didn't count the basket. Not 100% sure. 1 and 1 for the other team
In nfhs does it count? I'm guessing no even though the ball hit the rim.

mutantducky:

I do not follow your play description. First, there are no offensive fouls in NFHS, NCAA Men's/Women's and FIBA basketball rules, but there are offensive fouls in NBA/WNBA basketball rules.

Second, the following is the best way to describe a play and I will try to use your play as an example:

PLAY: A1 shoots the second of two free throws. A1's free throw is not successful. During the rebounding action A2 pushes B2:

a) before tipping the ball toward Team A's basket;

b) while tipping the ball (in-other-words, his was in contact with the ball when he pushed B2) and airborne;

c) while tipping the ball (in-other-words, his was in contact with the ball when he pushed B2) but was not airborne;

d) after tipping the ball (in-other-words, his was no longer in contact with the ball when he pushed B2) but still airborne;

e) after tipping the ball (in-other-words, his was no longer in contact with the ball when he pushed B2) but was not airborne (either he was never airborne as in (c) or had returned to the floor as in (d).

RULING: I will only apply NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's rules. All ruling apply to both rule sets except when a difference is noted. Furthermore, by defintion, A2's foul is a personal foul, and I will assume that A2's foul was neither intentional nor flagrant.

a) A2's foul is a common foul. The foul caused the ball to become dead and if Team B is in the bonus, B2 will shoot free throws, otherwise Team B will receive the ball for a throw-in nearest the spot of the foul.

b) and c) A2's foul is player control foul (and by definition is a team control foul and a common foul). The foul caused the ball to become dead and if A2's tip went through the basket it will not count. Team B will receive the ball for a throw-in nearest the spot of the foul.

d) NFHS and NCAA Women's: This is a foul by an airborne shooter and is by definition a player control foul (and a common foul), but not a team control foul. The foul caused the ball to become dead and if A2's tip went through the basket it will not count. Team B will receive the ball for a throw-in nearest the spot of the foul.

d) NCAA Men's: This is NOT a foul by an airborne shooter but, by defintion a common foul. The ball does not become dead until the tip is made or missed. If the tip is successful it shall count. If Team B is in the bonus, B2 will shoot free throws, otherwise Team B will receive the ball for a throw-in nearest the spot of the foul.

e) This is NOT a foul by an airborne shooter, but, by defintion a common foul. The ball does not become dead until the tip is made or missed. If the tip is successful it shall count. If Team B is in the bonus, B2 will shoot free throws, otherwise Team B will receive the ball for a throw-in nearest the spot of the foul.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Fri Mar 13, 2009 at 07:38am. Reason: Screwed up a defintion, LOL.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
mutantducky:

I do not follow your play description.
LOL! You're sure didn't because he told you the FT was successful. Yet every scenario you posted has the FT being missed.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 09:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Wow, Mark, that's your edited version?
I can do it much more briefly.

A1 shooting free throws.
1. A1 releases free throw.
2. A2 fouls B1 after the release.
3. Basket goes in.

Count it.