The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 12:04am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,899
Is this disrespectful or good motivation?

FOX Sports on MSN - Women's NCAA - Sooners star: I will repay scholarship if we lose

Confidence? Arrogance? Disrespectful of the value of the scholarship the school provided? Great motivation for the team?

What do you think?
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 12:07am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
It's unique, I'll give her that.
I'd call this confidence.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 12:27am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,505
Whats disrespectful? If this doesn't light the fire under the opponents butt then what will?
__________________
in OS I trust
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 01:16am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 153
No disrespect. An attempt to motivate. Does not undermine the value of the scholarship but just tells me how badly she wants to win.
__________________
CALL WHAT YOU SEE AND SEE WHAT YOU CALL
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 05:26am
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,642
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Certainly an interesting bet.

While I generally only follow the U of Md. Lady Terps, this certainly will give me reason to keep an eye on the Lady Sooners in the Tourney to see how this all plays out.....

Thanks Nevada.
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 08:19am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Certainly an interesting bet.
Very key word here. I do think she meant this to be a motivational statement and to get her team fired up, but because of various NCAA and state/federal rules on gambling, if her team loses I wouldn't be surprised if none of her money makes its way back to the school. Furthermore, if her team wins, I also wouldn't be surprised to see some sore-loserish behavior from the other team in the form of some parent/fan filing a lawsuit against the winning team for the same reason. She should've kept her mouth shut or else just done some good old-fashioned non-monetary trash talking about her opponents...
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 08:45am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
She is merely a kid doing some talking.
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 10:17am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
Very key word here. I do think she meant this to be a motivational statement and to get her team fired up, but because of various NCAA and state/federal rules on gambling, if her team loses I wouldn't be surprised if none of her money makes its way back to the school. Furthermore, if her team wins, I also wouldn't be surprised to see some sore-loserish behavior from the other team in the form of some parent/fan filing a lawsuit against the winning team for the same reason. She should've kept her mouth shut or else just done some good old-fashioned non-monetary trash talking about her opponents...
Are you aware that the WCC just played their conference tournament ON THE PREMISES of a casino in Las Vegas?

Wonder how the NCAA brass felt about that.
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 11:03am
Esteemed Participant
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 4,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Are you aware that the WCC just played their conference tournament ON THE PREMISES of a casino in Las Vegas?

Wonder how the NCAA brass felt about that.
They approved it. Guess that tells us how they felt about it.
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 11:10am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,123
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
They approved it. Guess that tells us how they felt about it.
LOL!!!

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 12:11pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 14,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Whats disrespectful? If this doesn't light the fire under the opponents butt then what will?
Any more movitivating than the D-League's play-off system? NBA Development League: NBA D-League Announces Innovative Playoff Format
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Racine, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,081
I think her odds of paying back $64,000 are very good...Oklahoma will not win the WNCAA Championship. Not a smart move on her part IMO.
__________________
Every game is a big game
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
They approved it. Guess that tells us how they felt about it.
Learn to read. Notice that I didn't post a question, but rather a statement. There is no question mark at the end of my sentence.

I was not making an inquiry, rather I was giving a directive to the other poster. He was the one whom I wanted to do the wondering.

I know that the NCAA approved the location. Remember I live in this state.

Now get over your Napoleon complex.
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 12:48pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Near Dog River (sorta)
Posts: 8,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I think her odds of paying back $64,000 are very good...Oklahoma will not win the WNCAA Championship. Not a smart move on her part IMO.
Agreed. Dumb move by this player.
__________________
Pope Francis
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 12:52pm
Ref Ump Welsch
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Now the $64,000 question...what will happen? More after March Madness!
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This is a Good One! PIAA REF Basketball 22 Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:34pm
Motivation to do the right thing tomegun Basketball 28 Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:12am
Here's a good one to think about TriggerMN Basketball 8 Tue Dec 28, 2004 01:35pm
Need some motivation stripes Basketball 19 Wed Jun 18, 2003 09:40pm
Female refs-motivation and advantages carlos Soccer 1 Sat Jun 14, 2003 07:46am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1