The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 06:19pm
Huck Finn

Motivation to do the right thing

There have been many times where I feel like doing the right thing for the game and requiring sportsmanship at all times has left me vulnerable because it seemed like I was the only one on my crew doing this. I have lived in various states and have had the unfortunate experience of dealing with several players and coaches who forget about sportsmanship once the game begins. I currently live in Mississippi and have been brutalized by some coaches ratings while having a nearly perfect rating from my fellow officials. The gentleman from the state office recently sent out two emails addressing this issue as well as one email sent out by our local assigner. This is the latest email from the state:

As you are aware, the MHSAA has been promoting sportsmanship. One priority for the MHSAA Executive Committee this year is to improve sportsmanship. We have a firm that is directing a sportsmanship campaign throughout the state. The expectations of this campaign are to make sure that the game is played by the rules; and the actions of all participants (administrators, coaches, players, officials and fans) be conducted with good sportsmanship. We expect our coaches and players to play within the rules and respect the officials and their authority.

We also expect the officials to administer the game by the rules and respect the players and coaches. By administering the rules, we expect the officials, administrators, and coaches to appropriately deal with all unsportsmanlike action immediately after it occurs.

At three different events this week, we have had coaches and fans make racial and ethnic remarks directed at officials along with several other unsportsmanlike issues. This type of action is totally unacceptable. Game administrators should take immediate steps to stop this type of conduct. The game official must deal with all unsportsmanlike issues and this is expected of all officials. Be firm and be fair.

When we ignore unsportsmanlike issues, we condone the action.

Let's treat the court and field as an extension of the classroom.

This sort of thing gives me a little motivation to keep on the straight and narrow. Unfortunately for some coach and/or player, I have now been given some backup from the state to (continue to) call all technical fouls for unsporting behavior that are earned.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 06:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Have at it, Tom.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 07:01pm
Huck Finn

The assigner called me today and asked me what I thought about his email. I told him it is great to have emails coming out concerning this subject. The onus has now been placed squarely on the shoulders of the officials who have not been handling business.

For the record, not of this has anything to do with me - not directly at least . The local problems occurred during a game the assigner was observing where one official called like three well-earned Ts while the other officials needed to "raise a crop of testicles."
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

I couldn't agree with you more. Whenever we allow coaches to verbally abuse us, we lose confidence and credibility with other coaches, players and fans. One solid warning is all we need to issue, then deal with unsportsmanlike conduct firmly. If we allow the issues to continue, we stand the chance of losing control of the coaches, the game and our own tempers. Communication with your partners is vital, and a good squad will be united.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

tomegun, your piece is right on!! I have seen situations and discussed situations with more experience officials and the jest of the conversations are, they do not want to receive a bad rating from coaches so they are more inclined to ignore the behavior.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 12:15am
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Ya' know, I've always felt that having coaches rate officials is kind of like having criminals judge the police.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Coaches should never have input to official's ratings. It makes official's hesitant to do the right thing for fear of reprisal.

I know a D-3 assignor who was asked by his coaches if they could have some input on the rating of the officials that he assigned. He said, "sure, if you want to hire a new assignor."
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to refman1964
KINDA OF LIKE? Mark your right on with that statement. Do you think many of them actually wait to cool off before putting pen to paper?
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 08:07am
Huck Finn

I would bet money that most of them take their frustration out via ratings - I'm an example of that. The coach I asked is a younger guy, he is in his first year and I've never officiated his team before. I just so happened to be doing game on a day where he was there but not coaching. If all these things wouldn't have aligned, I wouldn't have even asked him.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

I agree

with the message of sportsmanship. I live in KY and there is one association/one assignor for my region. Coaches DO RATE officials every February, with the top 40 being assigned Varsity contests the following year. Top 20 earns you a tournament spot. With that said, I can now see where the dilemna is between officials rating their co-workers and coaches rating officials . As frustrating as it is in my situation - there are times where I have seen officials pass on taking care of the business because of the "Scratch" List. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Frankly, when I take care of the business and get scratched, it means that I have done my job and the coach is being punitive.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
other officials needed to "raise a crop of testicles."
Shouldn't that be "drop a crop of testicles?"
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I would bet money that most of them take their frustration out via ratings - I'm an example of that. The coach I asked is a younger guy, he is in his first year and I've never officiated his team before. I just so happened to be doing game on a day where he was there but not coaching. If all these things wouldn't have aligned, I wouldn't have even asked him.
The issue of coaches rating officials has come up in our state this year. In talking with other officials about it, I learned that we tried something similar a few years back. The experiment went about like you'd expect. The overwhelming majority of the ratings that came in were negative. Assuming that these were largely a result of coaches venting frustration, they changed the policy the following year to require coaches to let 48 hours pass and to view the game film before submitting ratings for officials. The ratings almost completely dried up.

I understand coaches wanting to rate officials. Officials are the one thing in their games that they cannot control. They want to get the "bad" ones out of there. But how do you allow them to have input in a way that does not allow them to abuse the system?
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 01:58pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins

ROFLMAO!!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 02:20pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Again, Big Bob comes in with a winner! Man, you are on a roll this winter.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Relief - somewhat

Good timing on sharing the email. I am a 1st year ref and did a game last night... I'm sure I missed a call or two... but home coach barked at almost every whistle. This in turn let the crowd into getting nasty. In the 4th quarter, I went to the table to report a foul... he came clear to the table - got in my face - and said "I'm glad to see you can blow that whistle - I though you swallowed it along with a few other comments about calls. As I Td him up - he yelled out that he also knew that I would end up giving him a technical. He gave me no choice - but last night and today I was beginning to wonder... until I read your piece.