The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is not about being good it is about choices. And where I live we are allowed to not accept assignments from certain levels, including the different levels of boy's and girl's basketball (4 different levels--each gender has 1A-2A and 3A/4A). And most officials that work the post season on the boy's side do not accept girl's assignments. I am glad I have choices. Good has nothing to do with it.

Peace

Plenty of guys do both up my way JR, in fact two just did girls finals this weekend.

You're correct though about it being a choice.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

How about this one from 3 weeks ago... I was in the C

Video On Demand | KMOV.com | St. Louis, MO
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 06:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Plenty of guys do both up my way JR, in fact two just did girls finals this weekend.

You're correct though about it being a choice.
I did not say there were not plenty of guys that worked both. I can tell you that by far most officials I worked with this year, most do not work girl's basketball. And even a smaller percentage worked post season. I worked with more officials that worked college ball this year than worked any girl's basketball.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Nevermind.

Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did not say there were not plenty of guys that worked both. I can tell you that by far most officials I worked with this year, most do not work girl's basketball. And even a smaller percentage worked post season. I worked with more officials that worked college ball this year than worked any girl's basketball.

Peace
I can only aspire to reach such heights.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 08:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I can only aspire to reach such heights.
Once again, it is not about aspiration, it is about choice. Most officials that work boy's basketball that I know, have no desire to work girl's basketball. Those that live in other parts of Illinois, only work girls (their words not mine) for the money. And I have two really close officiating friends that are working their first Super-Sectional this year and they refuse to work anything but boy's basketball. And they live well over 200 miles from the area I do and live in West Central Illinois.

I really do not know why this is such a controversial thing to say, when people off this site talk about this all the time?

Peace
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 09:27pm
We don't rent pigs

This is not controversial.

Quote:
Most officials that work boy's basketball that I know, have no desire to work girl's basketball.
I really do not know why this is such a controversial thing to say.....

This is controversial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge

I do not think many people care that much about girl's basketball either.
Is it possible that you don't realize that when you make a point of posting:

"Nobody cares about X."

X, whoever that may be, no matter how many or how few, is/are likely to find that offensive?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 10:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
This is not controversial.

This is controversial.

Is it possible that you don't realize that when you make a point of posting:

"Nobody cares about X."

X, whoever that may be, no matter how many or how few, is/are likely to find that offensive?
First of all it was a joke. Secondly I did not say "Nobody." Obviously somebody cares they work it. And if people cared as much, then attendance would not be abysmal in our state on the girl's side lately. But that is a discussion for another day. I also never said that only the best of the best worked it. I said that I had a choice, where a lot of places do not seem to have the choice. If officials in our state choose not to work one side or the other, they have that choice. This is a hobby, not job mandate the last time I checked.

This discussion is no different than talking about working any level like "wreak ball" or JH ball or AAU or any other kind of basketball that makes your skin crawl.

What I told my students in my class, when you leave your house and you are going to leave your job and your family, you better enjoy what you are doing or stop doing it.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Mar 09, 2009 at 10:43pm.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
This is controversial.
I would say that it is a fact. The majority of people do not pay much attention to women's athletics. I see lower level conference D-I games on TV more often than I see big time women's conference games. Nothing against people who enjoy women's games, but as a whole our society does not enjoy them very much.

Funny story (I'm sure some of you won't think so...) well I was watching the NCAAW videos on eofficials and the topic for one of them was basket interference. I thought the video was going to say something like "you're working a women's game, don't worry about BI, no one can jump that high..."
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 10:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
I would say that it is a fact. The majority of people do not pay much attention to women's athletics. I see lower level conference D-I games on TV more often than I see big time women's conference games. Nothing against people who enjoy women's games, but as a whole our society does not enjoy them very much.
I think it needs to be said, this is not about women's sports as a whole. My point was only about girl's basketball. Girl's basketball plays at the same time as Boy's basketball. That inherently has an either/or quality to this discussion. I can tell you that a similar discussion comes up when discussing softball or baseball. No one seems to find that discussion offensive. The Softball/Baseball debate is usually about time it takes to play the games. And in many cases we are playing side by side the softball field and who gets finished is often a topic of discussion.

It just goes to show that people will be offended by anything.

Peace