The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   last second shot (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52167-last-second-shot.html)

fullor30 Mon Mar 09, 2009 03:59pm

last second shot

I'm terrible at pulling up old threads, searching in archives.............

There was a thread a year or two ago on a last second shot from past half court that decided a state championship(?) with video link. I searched youtube with no luck.

The officials were skewered for call and all I can recall after watching tape 20 times was I still couldn't make up my mind if good or not.

Anybody remember it? It may have been Southeast somewhere.

JRutledge Mon Mar 09, 2009 04:06pm

This was in South Carolina last year. I am sure you can find the tape somewhere; there were about 3 different angles. Even ESPN covered the story of the team that eventually won, because they were honoring a fallen fireman that was once their coach but he died in fire before the basketball season.

BTW, the ESPN Story did not show a conclusive angle (because they were there covering the team).

Peace

JugglingReferee Mon Mar 09, 2009 04:31pm

Is this it? http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...nds-video.html

YouTube: YouTube - OHSSE Incredible Basketball State Championship Finish

JugglingReferee Mon Mar 09, 2009 04:35pm

Or this: YouTube - Buzzer Beater..Not! Summerville vs Spartanburg

JRutledge Mon Mar 09, 2009 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 586704)

No, I do not think that is the situation he is talking about. This took place in South Carolina and we spent about 3 different threads on that topic.

I do not think many people care that much about girl's basketball either. ;)

Peace

JugglingReferee Mon Mar 09, 2009 04:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 586706)
No, I do not think that is the situation he is talking about. This took place in South Carolina and we spent about 3 different threads on that topic.

I do not think many people care that much about girl's basketball either. ;)

Peace

I'll keep looking then. As for girls basketball, I care, if it means that I do a state final!

JugglingReferee Mon Mar 09, 2009 04:45pm

YouTube - IHSAA 1990: Basketball Champions Bedford North Lawrence

JugglingReferee Mon Mar 09, 2009 04:46pm

Here it is: http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...make-call.html

Newspaper: Summerville beats Spartanburg for 4A boys state title

YouTube: YouTube - The greatest game-winning shot to never count

There's even a post from Dan! And JR!

JRutledge Mon Mar 09, 2009 04:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 586709)
I'll keep looking then. As for girls basketball, I care, if it means that I do a state final!

I would rather not work a single playoff game, let alone a state final if that was the only goal. And when I hear officials that have been honored work a state final qualify it by saying "It is in girl's basketball" that is all I need to know. But then again that is just me. ;)

Peace

JugglingReferee Mon Mar 09, 2009 04:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 586714)
I would rather not work a single playoff game, let alone a state final if that was the only goal. And when I hear officials that have been honored work a state final qualify it by saying "It is in girl's basketball" that is all I need to know. But then again that is just me. ;)

Peace

We're not all as good as you are! ;)

JRutledge Mon Mar 09, 2009 05:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 586716)
We're not all as good as you are! ;)

It is not about being good it is about choices. And where I live we are allowed to not accept assignments from certain levels, including the different levels of boy's and girl's basketball (4 different levels--each gender has 1A-2A and 3A/4A). And most officials that work the post season on the boy's side do not accept girl's assignments. I am glad I have choices. Good has nothing to do with it.

Peace

JugglingReferee Mon Mar 09, 2009 05:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 586718)
It is not about being good it is about choices. And where I live we are allowed to not accept assignments from certain levels, including the different levels of boy's and girl's basketball (4 different levels--each gender has 1A-2A and 3A/4A). And most officials that work the post season on the boy's side do not accept girl's assignments. I am glad I have choices. Good has nothing to do with it.

Peace

Nevermind.

JRutledge Mon Mar 09, 2009 05:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 586721)
Nevermind.

Sorry you do not have choices. :)

Peace

zm1283 Mon Mar 09, 2009 05:34pm

FWIW, I think that shot counted in the South Carolina game. I'm 99% sure I heard the horn go off while you could see the ball in the air.

fullor30 Mon Mar 09, 2009 05:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 586705)

That's it! Sending to a few folks for their opinion.

Thanks Juggles..........