The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting T

Has been an interesting few weeks in northern Illinois...check out this video, this is the star player from Waukegan HS, considered one of the top juniors in the nation and committed to Illinois. Regional Championship on Fri night, he was apparently whistled for a tech earlier in the game for getting into a shoving match with an opponent...then he received a second tech for this play (around the 34 second mark of the video) for what the official deemed hanging on the rim...granted the video is not the best, but to me this looks questionable at best, looks like he went to redirect the tip dunk, loses the ball and maybe snaps the rim, but doesn't appear that he hung on it....but what gets me is that everyone is up in arms about the officiating and writing and calling the state office (ejection means he is suspended from the first round of sectionals which will be vs. local rival and previewed as one of the best games in this area in a LOOOONG time) about what an outrage this is....me I'm just thinking if he didn't get the first tech in the first half he wouldn't be worrying about an official with a quick whistle....this kid has a history/reputation of being a bit hot-headed, so I guess this is what it gets you...not sure which official made the call and I don't know any of them well, so I have no idea what the thought process was on this one...

YouTube - Jereme Richmond Td up for missing a (dunk) shot
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Friend from Chicago talked about this and said there was a lot of hoopla over it. The town is apparently in a mini-uproar over it -- the team plays last year's state runner-up Wednesday in the next round of the state playoffs and even though it lost a previous match-up this year, figured to have a close game (it's at Waukegan).

Checked out a Chicago newspaper on this, and how's this for a kicker: The star gets a T in the first half and the coach still has him in the game for this to happen. The circumstances? His team was up only 61-38 against a clearly inferior team -- WITH 4:39 LEFT IN THE GAME. (Friend says the starters have been left in far too long in several other blowouts this year, too.)

While this video seems to show a pretty smooth downward motion on the play in question, the kid's coach needs to be called into the principal's office for even leaving him in that position.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Friend from Chicago talked about this and said there was a lot of hoopla over it. The town is apparently in a mini-uproar over it -- the team plays last year's state runner-up Wednesday in the next round of the state playoffs and even though it lost a previous match-up this year, figured to have a close game (it's at Waukegan).

Checked out a Chicago newspaper on this, and how's this for a kicker: The star gets a T in the first half and the coach still has him in the game for this to happen. The circumstances? His team was up only 61-38 against a clearly inferior team -- WITH 4:39 LEFT IN THE GAME. (Friend says the starters have been left in far too long in several other blowouts this year, too.)

While this video seems to show a pretty smooth downward motion on the play in question, the kid's coach needs to be called into the principal's office for even leaving him in that position.

Agree with you completely total brainfart by the coach...but funny how things like this keep happening to the same kids over and over - this kid was suspended from the last several games of last season for verbally abusing the coach in front of the team....
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 02:29pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I'm rather annoyed that other people's dirty laundry is on here.

What's the point?
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post

What's the point?
"I make my living off the evening news
Just give me something-something I can use
People love it when you lose,
They love dirty laundry"

Don Henley - 1982

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

more on the subject...........

IHSA: Richmond will sit against Zion-Benton :: High Schools :: YourSeason
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

We brought this up the morning after it happened..........why is this kid in the game??? Coach needs to look in the mirror
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post

What's the point?
Not at all I just thought it was an interesting point of discussion....for instance does player reputation play into referee treatment? Does the game situation impact what you will/won't call? There is a lot to learn in a bad situation like this....
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 02:48pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
"I make my living off the evening news
Just give me something-something I can use
People love it when you lose,
They love dirty laundry"

Don Henley - 1982
"Kick em when they're up
Kick em when they're down"

Love the songs by the Eagles - as a group and by themselves.

Fav is Joe Walsh - Life's Been Good So Far.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 02:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

I could not see the video very well. I do know all three officials that were listed on the game. One of them is a State Final Official. I could not tell what was called just by looking at the video. I am wondering if the T was for something else.

That being said, why would this kid be in the game in the first place? We can debate over the call, but those decisions are final. The state does not come in and change judgment calls that are supported completely by rule. If hanging on the rim is what was ruled, that is what was ruled. He would not have been ejected if he did not get another T earlier in the game. Sounds to me like the coach and fans want to get bailed out. There is already enough of that going around.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I could not tell what was called just by looking at the video. I am wondering if the T was for something else.
That's what I was wondering - did the kid yell something during the dunk? Was there any taunting involved? Perhaps the officials had seen or heard something earlier that made them think this was an attempt to "rub it in" (see earlier comments about why this player was still in the game at that point). There are many times T's are given as a result of ABS - Accumulated Bull Sh!t - and the final spoken words by themselves may not be considered "T-worthy" on their own, but would be when taken in the entire context.

How come the coaching staff doesn't mention watching the entire pushing incident from the 1st half frame-by-frame?

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Ashlaw relates that upon returning to the high school following Friday night’s game, he and his staff thoroughly reviewed the game film and came to the conclusion that Richmond did not hang on the rim.

That's why he isn't the association president.

Good thing the association doesn't review tapes. But this will cost the official games in the future.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 03:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Blue View Post
Ashlaw relates that upon returning to the high school following Friday night’s game, he and his staff thoroughly reviewed the game film and came to the conclusion that Richmond did not hang on the rim.

That's why he isn't the association president.

Good thing the association doesn't review tapes. But this will cost the official games in the future.
No it will not. Two of the officials will have games this week.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
That's what I was wondering - did the kid yell something during the dunk? Was there any taunting involved? Perhaps the officials had seen or heard something earlier that made them think this was an attempt to "rub it in" (see earlier comments about why this player was still in the game at that point). There are many times T's are given as a result of ABS - Accumulated Bull Sh!t - and the final spoken words by themselves may not be considered "T-worthy" on their own, but would be when taken in the entire context.
Was wondering the same thing but thought I read somewhere that the Trail called the T.

Interestingly, it seems like none of the newspapers have actually found out (or at least printed) any of the officials' names. Remember we had a thread several weeks ago that broached this subject as I recall, though it seems it was less controversial and an official WAS named in print.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 03:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Was wondering the same thing but thought I read somewhere that the Trail called the T.

Interestingly, it seems like none of the newspapers have actually found out (or at least printed) any of the officials' names. Remember we had a thread several weeks ago that broached this subject as I recall, though it seems it was less controversial and an official WAS named in print.
The officials had to write a Special Report for the ejection. I bet there is more to the issue than we all know and what was reported. It is very possible that there was more to this than hanging on the rim. Then again this is why you cannot trust the media for the entire story. There probably are more things to this than reported. Then again what else is new.

Peace
Closed Thread