The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 12, 2002, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

I had no plans to work a tournament this weekend, so when a local league rep called me this past week to ask if I could work a field for their fall league of fastpitch, I hastily accepted. It was explained that since that was largely for "developmental" purposes, and that no standings were being kept, this was 1 umpire mechanics with a 75 minute drop dead time limit.

Now...when you hear 1 umpire mechanics, what do you think?!

I naturally thought of the 1 umpire mechanics that we find in the ASA manual. Me, behind the plate, busting my butt to get up the line for calls at first. Cutting through the field to make calls at second...etc. You all know what I am talking about. Well...after the first game of me out there hustling my butt off making all the calls to the best of my ability, I get approached by both coaches and thanked for my job. Now...let me explain. This was not your usual "thanks for a good job blue," this was a "wow, that was the greatest thing since sliced bread" kind of thanks. One coach tells me that this was the first time all season that his kids have had a decent strike zone...etc. Thinking that this was just one of those "kissing up to the ump" kind of deals, I ask innocently enough what it was that I was doing different from the other umpires they have had.

Seems all the other umps they have had this fall have made all calls standing behind the pitcher. That's right. Balls and strikes and safes and outs, all standing stationary behind the pitcher. Though I tried to mask it, I was appalled. Seems like that is a little dishonest. Taking money and not doing the best possible job.

Anybody else ever hear of such a thing? Keep in mind that this was 16U, 14U, 12U and 10U.

Scott
Old Sun Oct 13, 2002, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

A couple of years back when I worked games in East Texas and in Louisiana, it was common to see quite a few umps working solo behind the pitcher.
It usually was due to the fact that the umps were older and less mobile.
There were some leagues who expected a single ump to work from behind the pitcher, with the expected whine rate very high if you worked alone behind the plate.
You know the whines....how can you see that tag if you had to run all the way out there etc.........
Some umps just developed that method as a way of calling a game to the expectations of the local leagues.
I did work a game or two like that myself, but was never comfortable with it.
I recently saw a team from the Beaumont (14U) area at the Southern Nationals who talked about the same thing. Maybe it is a localized trend.
Old Sun Oct 13, 2002, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

I have called a few scrimmages from behind the pitcher when my oldest had practice games getting ready for State Tourney's.............

In one of those games..........I heard a collision behind me...........and knew I had no way of knowing what happened............also.........all of the runners could leave early with me having no clue that they did..........(I know........why would someone cheat in a practice game............?? But even though a practice game.......each team wants to win.........grin

I have called many practice games since......but always made sure that I had my gear with me............

Joel
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scottk_61
You know the whines....how can you see that tag if you had to run all the way out there etc.........
I have never used the "behind the pitcher" mechanic when working alone.

I do however, take very little garbage when working alone.
I have two responses for the typical comments I hear in a one umpire game:

1. Coach: Hey, blue..the runner on first is leaving early!
Me: You want me to watch that or call balls and strikes?

2. Coach: How can you make that call from so far away?
Me: If you want an umpire in position for every call, get the league to pay for two umpires.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Talking A More Effective Response

For #2:

Coach, that's a $-- call (fill in the amount). When they ask what you mean, tell 'em that's what it would cost for another official!

It shuts 'em up really fast, and very often turns on the light bulb! (You mean it'll only cost us another $25 for another umpire?)
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Imagine trying to do a high-level slow-pitch tournament from behind the mound.