The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Question on pregame

I was in Indianapolis covering the Women's Big Ten Tournament, watching IU and Purdue

Before the game, IU had just come on to the court to warm up. Clock read about 4 minutes.

While IU was warming up, Purdue's cheerleaders led them on the court, right through Indiana's warm up, making them stop what they were doing while Purdue and their cheerleaders ran through.

Is this legal?

Disclaimer: Yes I'm an IU fan, but this could happen anywhere.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 09:57pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I was doing a college football game 2 season ago and the visiting team brought their band out to lead the way. The band (10r by 20c) marched across the field and I thought they'd pull a 180 at the "upright-to-upright" imaginary half-field line. Nope - straight to the home team's bench area, where they pulled a 180 and marched back into the stands. No penalty, but boy was the home team pissed!

Gotta love college sports.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 11:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Play ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I was doing a college football game 2 season ago and the visiting team brought their band out to lead the way. The band (10r by 20c) marched across the field and I thought they'd pull a 180 at the "upright-to-upright" imaginary half-field line. Nope - straight to the home team's bench area, where they pulled a 180 and marched back into the stands. No penalty, but boy was the home team pissed!Gotta love college sports.
YouTube - The Play - Cal v. Stanfurd "enhanced"
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was doing a college football game 2 season ago and the visiting team brought their band out to lead the way. The band (10r by 20c) marched across the field and I thought they'd pull a 180 at the "upright-to-upright" imaginary half-field line. Nope - straight to the home team's bench area, where they pulled a 180 and marched back into the stands. No penalty, but boy was the home team pissed!

Gotta love college sports.
Do you mean the 50 yard line?
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 06:46am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Do you mean the 50 yard line?
Well, if I was talking about what you might call "mid-field", I would have been referring to the 55-yard line. Around my zip codes, we call the 55 "centre-ice".

The upright-to-upright line is the line perpendicular to centre-ice, and that also cuts the field in half. Google Map Dog River for more help (I'm Cdn).
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 07:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

Since When Is Oregon Part Of Canada ??? Did I Miss This On The News Last Night ???

Quote:
Google Map Dog River for more help (I'm Cdn).
Cdn = Canuck ???
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 08:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
. Google Map Dog River for more help (I'm Cdn).
...A day's drive south.
That's like South America, ain't it?
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was in Indianapolis covering the Women's Big Ten Tournament, watching IU and Purdue

Before the game, IU had just come on to the court to warm up. Clock read about 4 minutes.

While IU was warming up, Purdue's cheerleaders led them on the court, right through Indiana's warm up, making them stop what they were doing while Purdue and their cheerleaders ran through.

Is this legal?

Probably not, however, with the rivalry of the two schools, anything can happen! POTFH

Disclaimer: Yes I'm a hoosier by birth and boilermaker by blood!
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 02:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Is this legal?

In NCAA-W don't the officials leave the court at 10 and come back without jackets at 3 minutes?

If so the officials would not have been there to re-route Purdue's players. I had a regional last week in which my partner recognized this was about to happen and had the players go along the sidelines.

Last edited by Raymond; Sat Mar 07, 2009 at 03:27pm.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
In NCAA-W don't the officials leave the court at 10 and come back without jackets at 3 minutes?

If so the officials would not have been there to re-route Purdue's players. I had a regional last week in which my partner recognized this was about to happen and the players go along the sidelines.
You're correct.

(Used with permission.)
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

If so the officials would not have been there to re-route Purdue's players. I had a regional last week in which my partner recognized this was about to happen and had the players go along the sidelines.
Was not aware of this procedure.

By the way, the officials at the tournament were very good.