The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Question on pregame (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52109-question-pregame.html)

bas2456 Fri Mar 06, 2009 09:50pm

Question on pregame

I was in Indianapolis covering the Women's Big Ten Tournament, watching IU and Purdue

Before the game, IU had just come on to the court to warm up. Clock read about 4 minutes.

While IU was warming up, Purdue's cheerleaders led them on the court, right through Indiana's warm up, making them stop what they were doing while Purdue and their cheerleaders ran through.

Is this legal?

Disclaimer: Yes I'm an IU fan, but this could happen anywhere.

JugglingReferee Fri Mar 06, 2009 09:57pm

I was doing a college football game 2 season ago and the visiting team brought their band out to lead the way. The band (10r by 20c) marched across the field and I thought they'd pull a 180 at the "upright-to-upright" imaginary half-field line. Nope - straight to the home team's bench area, where they pulled a 180 and marched back into the stands. No penalty, but boy was the home team pissed!

Gotta love college sports.

BillyMac Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:29pm

The Play ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 586126)
I was doing a college football game 2 season ago and the visiting team brought their band out to lead the way. The band (10r by 20c) marched across the field and I thought they'd pull a 180 at the "upright-to-upright" imaginary half-field line. Nope - straight to the home team's bench area, where they pulled a 180 and marched back into the stands. No penalty, but boy was the home team pissed!Gotta love college sports.

YouTube - The Play - Cal v. Stanfurd "enhanced"

bas2456 Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 586126)
I was doing a college football game 2 season ago and the visiting team brought their band out to lead the way. The band (10r by 20c) marched across the field and I thought they'd pull a 180 at the "upright-to-upright" imaginary half-field line. Nope - straight to the home team's bench area, where they pulled a 180 and marched back into the stands. No penalty, but boy was the home team pissed!

Gotta love college sports.

Do you mean the 50 yard line?

JugglingReferee Sat Mar 07, 2009 06:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 586175)
Do you mean the 50 yard line?

Well, if I was talking about what you might call "mid-field", I would have been referring to the 55-yard line. Around my zip codes, we call the 55 "centre-ice".

The upright-to-upright line is the line perpendicular to centre-ice, and that also cuts the field in half. Google Map Dog River for more help (I'm Cdn).

BillyMac Sat Mar 07, 2009 07:15am

Since When Is Oregon Part Of Canada ??? Did I Miss This On The News Last Night ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 586192)
Google Map Dog River for more help (I'm Cdn).

Cdn = Canuck ???

mick Sat Mar 07, 2009 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 586192)
. Google Map Dog River for more help (I'm Cdn).

...A day's drive south.
That's like South America, ain't it? :)

dbking Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 586123)
I was in Indianapolis covering the Women's Big Ten Tournament, watching IU and Purdue

Before the game, IU had just come on to the court to warm up. Clock read about 4 minutes.

While IU was warming up, Purdue's cheerleaders led them on the court, right through Indiana's warm up, making them stop what they were doing while Purdue and their cheerleaders ran through.

Is this legal?

Probably not, however, with the rivalry of the two schools, anything can happen! POTFH

Disclaimer: Yes I'm a hoosier by birth and boilermaker by blood!

Raymond Sat Mar 07, 2009 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 586123)

Is this legal?

In NCAA-W don't the officials leave the court at 10 and come back without jackets at 3 minutes?

If so the officials would not have been there to re-route Purdue's players. I had a regional last week in which my partner recognized this was about to happen and had the players go along the sidelines.

M&M Guy Sat Mar 07, 2009 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 586253)
In NCAA-W don't the officials leave the court at 10 and come back without jackets at 3 minutes?

If so the officials would not have been there to re-route Purdue's players. I had a regional last week in which my partner recognized this was about to happen and the players go along the sidelines.

You're correct.

bas2456 Sat Mar 07, 2009 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 586253)

If so the officials would not have been there to re-route Purdue's players. I had a regional last week in which my partner recognized this was about to happen and had the players go along the sidelines.

Was not aware of this procedure.

By the way, the officials at the tournament were very good.