Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 03:23pm
M.A.S.H.

Congrats and have fun!!
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 08:51am
MABO Member

It's the day after.... I woke up this morning and felt like I had the biggest hang over. I don't know if it was dehydration or all the noise and excitement in the gym last night. Best experience I have had and by far the biggest game.

2 person crew and my partner is someone I have known for about 7 years. I respect and appreciated his knowledge and ability. I say this just to let you know that that was the first part of being able to relax and just have some fun. Combined we have about 50 + years of officiating experience. I was very comfortable knowing I didn't have to worry about what was happening out of my areas of responsibility because I knew he was on it.

Game started fast up and down the court, I should say this was the #1 vs #2 teams in the league. 7 minutes in and the #2 team was up 21-3. It was looking like the top could have come off. Once the players nerves settled down they started playing good controlled ball. Unfortunately the home team could never recover from the early lead and ended up loosing by 30.

I was comfortable with being able to let the kids play yet still get any fouls that were there to keep the game under control. Very loud in the gym like I said and I made one call were I reached up the line a bit on a press. Talked to my partner about it first oportunity and cleaned that up with no other personal issues. We had to intervene in a bit of a scrum after a hard foul that was called. Couple of kids were talking smack then it was a push, push. So hit em both with unsprting fouls. Late in the game I watched as defensive post 2 handed the O post in the back so I called it. Turned out it was his 5th foul. As I am reporting it I get knocked in the shoulder, look over and its this kid who came up and shoved me in the shoulder. I couldn't believe he did that. Took me a second to comprehend what he did and I T'd him up. The T got charged to the HC because the kid was already disqualified. When I explained what happened and why the HC was getting the T all he said was Ok how many can I get.

Final 6 minutes of the game was played by bench personal, no further incidents. Overall this game had the possibility of getting out of hand. It didn't and I feel we were professional and allowed the players to play.

I FEEL GOOD, and still on a bit of a HIGH!

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 04:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No sentence fragments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
Still on a bit of a high.
I get the same feeling when I test the "parsley" growing in my basement. I plant the "cucumbers" next week.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 05:17pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Sounds like a good experience. Glad you had a partner you were comfortable with. It makes a big difference, doesn't it?

Just a couple questions:

Quote:
Couple of kids were talking smack then it was a push, push. So hit em both with unsprting fouls.
Were the T's for talking or for the "push, push"? This isn't a huge deal, but by definition, unsporting fouls are non-contact fouls (4-19-14). So if they were yapping and you whacked 'em, those would be unsporting fouls. If they shoved each other in the chest and you whacked 'em, those would be intentional technical fouls (for dead ball contact). I realize there's no difference in penalty or administration. It's just a terminology issue.

Quote:
As I am reporting it I get knocked in the shoulder, look over and its this kid who came up and shoved me in the shoulder. I couldn't believe he did that. Took me a second to comprehend what he did and I T'd him up. The T got charged to the HC because the kid was already disqualified.
Are you sure the kid was already DQ'd? It sounds like you hadn't even finished reporting when the kid bumped you. To be DQ'd, you have to be notified (or already know) that it's his 5th AND you then have to notify the kid's coach. If you had not already told the coach that it was his player's 5th foul, then the kid had NOT been DQ'd and the technical (which I hope you charged as flagrant) should not have been charged indirectly to the coach.
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 07:34am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Sounds like a good experience. Glad you had a partner you were comfortable with. It makes a big difference, doesn't it?

Just a couple questions:

Were the T's for talking or for the "push, push"? This isn't a huge deal, but by definition, unsporting fouls are non-contact fouls (4-19-14). So if they were yapping and you whacked 'em, those would be unsporting fouls. If they shoved each other in the chest and you whacked 'em, those would be intentional technical fouls (for dead ball contact). I realize there's no difference in penalty or administration. It's just a terminology issue.

Are you sure the kid was already DQ'd? It sounds like you hadn't even finished reporting when the kid bumped you. To be DQ'd, you have to be notified (or already know) that it's his 5th AND you then have to notify the kid's coach. If you had not already told the coach that it was his player's 5th foul, then the kid had NOT been DQ'd and the technical (which I hope you charged as flagrant) should not have been charged indirectly to the coach.
Under FIBA rules, the fouls were both unsporting. FIBA uses that terminalogy the same as an intentional in NCAA.

As soon as the foul was reported and it was his 5th he is disqualified, even without notification so any furhter technicals or unsoporting conduct is given to the coach.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Good Job SmokeEater!!!
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 09:33am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Under FIBA rules, the fouls were both unsporting. FIBA uses that terminalogy the same as an intentional in NCAA.

As soon as the foul was reported and it was his 5th he is disqualified, even without notification so any furhter technicals or unsoporting conduct is given to the coach.
I learned something new today. Sounds like you nailed it. Congrats again.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 05:19pm
9 times

Congrats. I tel my buddies out here that it is always nice to have your name called. Good on you for having yours called.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019