The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 10:49am
Jerry Blum

Did anyone see this game yesterday afternoon? I happened to catch a couple of minutes during lunch and there was a play that I thought the officials blew, but I could be wrong.

Situation: Early 2nd half, St. John's A1 shoots, shot misses and A2,B2 go up for rebound in middle of lane and the ball is tip around and A2 finally tips the ball towards half court from about the free throw line. A3 gains control of the ball in the backcourt and the official calls a backcourt violation. There was never team control obtained by either team(neither team grabbed the ball with 2 hands). My question is should this play have been a back court violation, meaning that the tip by A2 is considered team control or did they blow this and it shouldn't have been a back court violation.

Just wondering if anyone else saw this and whether or not I am mistaken.

Jerry
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

I didn't see the situation, Jerry, but if the official deemed A2's tip to be a "controlled" tip, that is to say that he could have easily had possession of the ball, but chose to knock it back to a teammate, then you could have a backcourt violation. It sounds like the official judged A2 to have control of the ball. Either that, or they kicked it.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Even with a "controlled tip," there should be no player control unless they are determined to have caught and thrown. Even a tip with the direction controlled is not player or team control.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

I can't agree with HawksCoach. A dribble can be started with a control "batting)...i.e. tipping. I think any "controlled" act is the beginning of player/team control. Rule 4-28-31 states::A pass is movement of the ball caused by a player who throws, BATS, or rolls the ball to another player. What I see is a "pass" to a teammate in the backcourt.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 11:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by APHP
I can't agree with HawksCoach. A dribble can be started with a control "batting)...i.e. tipping. I think any "controlled" act is the beginning of player/team control. Rule 4-28-31 states::A pass is movement of the ball caused by a player who throws, BATS, or rolls the ball to another player. What I see is a "pass" to a teammate in the backcourt.
"Player control" is defined as holding or dribbling the ball.You have to hold or grasp the ball to attain player control,and thus team control.You are not holding the ball during a "tip". If you were,then there wouldn't be a rule in the book that says that you can score on a tip with 0.3 seconds left,or less to go in a period-but you can't score in the same situation when the shooter grabs the ball and shoots.Casebook play 5.2.5. What you saw was a ball directed or deflected to a teammate in the backcourt.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
if the official deemed A2's tip to be a "controlled" tip, that is to say that he could have easily had possession of the ball, but chose to knock it back to a teammate, then you could have a backcourt violation.

Originally posted by APHP
I can't agree with HawksCoach. A dribble can be started with a control "batting)...i.e. tipping. I think any "controlled" act is the beginning of player/team control.

Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Even with a "controlled tip," there should be no player control unless they are determined to have caught and thrown. Even a tip with the direction controlled is not player or team control.
Why is a coach having to correct our brother officials?
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

[Quote]Originally posted by Chuck Elias
Why is a coach having to correct our brother officials?[Quote]

...is it because of a Coach's genetic makeup?

RD