The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Grabbing a player

We are 20 seconds into the game and we are shooting a 2 shot free throw. I am the new trail. On the second shot B1 grabs A1's shirt so that he can not get around the box out. Ball goes in.

I called a holding foul. B coach doesn't like it. He feels that because the ball went in it's a dead ball. I told the coach that the ball was live and in the air when the foul happened.

So now a couple of things. I know the ball was live. Would it have mattered if the ball was through the rim when the infraction happened?

Would it have been better to issue a warning because it happened so early in the game? It seemed to be a habit of B1's as later in the game (while shooting free throws) he reached for the shirt of an opposing player and caught himself.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 11:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Good call; especially early on.

Yes, if the ball had gone through before the foul, you'd probably ignore this.

No, a foul works well here. Not only that, but a jersey grab could easily be considered an intentional foul, and probably should. Frankly, a common foul here is a warning.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 11:53am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Blue View Post
We are 20 seconds into the game and we are shooting a 2 shot free throw. I am the new trail. On the second shot B1 grabs A1's shirt so that he can not get around the box out. Ball goes in.

I called a holding foul. B coach doesn't like it. He feels that because the ball went in it's a dead ball. I told the coach that the ball was live and in the air when the foul happened.

So now a couple of things. I know the ball was live. Would it have mattered if the ball was through the rim when the infraction happened?

Would it have been better to issue a warning because it happened so early in the game? It seemed to be a habit of B1's as later in the game (while shooting free throws) he reached for the shirt of an opposing player and caught himself.
When the ball goes through it is dead until it is at the disposal of the other team. Contact at this point should be ignored unless judged to be intentional or flagrant, and while grabbing the shirt is an act which is usually intentionally done, in this case it would not usually be called an intentional foul. As far as a warning, if you don't call the foul, it's always ok to say something like, "Hands off, guys," but I can't see stopping the game at this point to give one. I don't see early or late in the game as being a factor.

Lonesome Dove