The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
B1 goes up for the rebound when ball bounces high off the rim a second time. While b1 is on his way down, his fingers get caught in net and force the rim down, causing it to vibrate while ball is in cylinder. Under 10-3-5b, would you automatically call a T on b1? Would you need to judge that he intentionally pulled down the net? Or could you let him off with basket interference?
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjchamp
B1 goes up for the rebound when ball bounces high off the rim a second time. While b1 is on his way down, his fingers get caught in net and force the rim down, causing it to vibrate while ball is in cylinder. Under 10-3-5b, would you automatically call a T on b1? Would you need to judge that he intentionally pulled down the net? Or could you let him off with basket interference?
10-3-5b would be a rule (note dashes). There is no such rule. Are you referring to case book 10.3.5b (note periods)? If so, that refers to grasping the ring intentionally and no T is assessed. You lost me.

Z
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 05:21am
Official Forum Member

10-3-4 states that it is a player technical foul to grasp either BASKET during the the time of the officials' jurisdiction.

The BASKET is more than just the ring. 1-10-1 tells us that the basket consists of the ring, its flange and braces, and the net.

I would probably assess a T for this AND call basket interference if the ball contacted the ring while it was still moving.

Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
Both of the last two years worth of rule books have a 10-3-5b. Also, look at the case for 10.3.5b. I'm just wondering if intent plays a big role in this decision. Has anyone ever called a T for accidentally pulling rim down via the net?
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
10-3-4 states that it is a player technical foul to grasp either BASKET during the the time of the officials' jurisdiction.

The BASKET is more than just the ring. 1-10-1 tells us that the basket consists of the ring, its flange and braces, and the net.

I would probably assess a T for this AND call basket interference if the ball contacted the ring while it was still moving.

In the case cited by tjchamp, I don't give a T to a player that accidentally got his fingers caught in the net. Just basket interference if anything.

Z
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 11:13am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

In the case cited by tjchamp, I don't give a T to a player that accidentally got his fingers caught in the net. Just basket interference if anything.

Agree. Wasn't there something issued somewhere in the last coupla years on a case like this? I remember seeing something, but I can't remember where I saw it. Maybe in NCAA?
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by tjchamp
If you'd just stick to 5th grade girls' games, you wouldn't have to worry about stuff like this.