The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy could I have fixed this?

No home book being kept. Home team Coach ok with visiting team keeping the book. Inexpierenced clock person (trouble with posession all game).
5th grade tournament. Tie game 39-39 8.9 left on clock, Blue calls time out after a red make. Time out awarded. coming out of time out ball is inbounded to red and they score 39-41, blue inbounds after make and time runs out. game over. Blue Coach protests. There are no options? right? Game over my mistake. Even the director of the tournament has no options, except to learn from the bad call and possibly put rules to mandate there be a rep at the table to help the Blue coach.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 09:12pm
In Time Out

nah, once it has been inbounded and especially after a made basket then de nada. Too bad, but it does happen even at higher levels.
If you realize you made a mistake blow the whistle even if the ball is live because the coaches won't mind the ball going to the team it is supposed to BUT DO IT BEFORE A shot/BASKET!

what does this mean, I assume you are saying you gave the ball to red when it should have been blue
?"Even the director of the tournament has no options, except to learn from the bad call and possibly put rules to mandate there be a rep at the table to help the Blue coach.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcosmo View Post
No home book being kept. Home team Coach ok with visiting team keeping the book. Inexpierenced clock person (trouble with posession all game).
5th grade tournament. Tie game 39-39 8.9 left on clock, Blue calls time out after a red make. Time out awarded. coming out of time out ball is inbounded to red and they score 39-41, blue inbounds after make and time runs out. game over. Blue Coach protests. There are no options? right? Game over my mistake. Even the director of the tournament has no options, except to learn from the bad call and possibly put rules to mandate there be a rep at the table to help the Blue coach.
Blue called timeout after Red scored to make it a tie game and they couldn't remember out of the timeout that they were supposed to have the ball?
And they think changing the rules is the solution?
________
The Legend Condominium Cosy Beach

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:46pm.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
nah, once it has been inbounded and especially after a made basket then de nada. Too bad, but it does happen even at higher levels.
If you realize you made a mistake blow the whistle even if the ball is live because the coaches won't mind the ball going to the team it is supposed to BUT DO IT BEFORE A shot/BASKET!

what does this mean, I assume you are saying you gave the ball to red when it should have been blue
?"Even the director of the tournament has no options, except to learn from the bad call and possibly put rules to mandate there be a rep at the table to help the Blue coach.
Because blue coach appealed to the director and is putting much of the blame on her and i believe she made the right call. game over sorry it will not happen again or it may have been prevented if you had a book keeper on your side. therefor mandating next time that every team will keep there own book. Thanks for your reply.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry but that's just plain wrong. Once the throw-in ends, you can't changed a thing. You screwed up. Learn from it and move on.

THROW-IN BY WRONG TEAM BY MISTAKE
7.5.2 SITUATION A: Team A is awarded a throw-in near the division line. The administering official by mistake, puts the ball at B1's disposal. B1 completes the throw-in and Team B subsequently scores a goal. RULING: No correction can be made for the mistake by the official.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 10:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Kicked It, Plain And Simple ...

I'm confused. How would having a representative at the table help this situation?

The officials just kicked it. We can go to camps, and clinics, and pregame, and communicate, and have good eye contact, and hold the ball on one side of our body to help us remember the direction, and remember to be live during a dead ball, but sometimes a player from the wrong team steps out of bounds, and you hand him the ball. Why? Because he's there. It happens to a few of the best of us, rarely, but it does happen. Learn from it, and hope that it never happens again.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 10:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

New category this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm confused. How would having a representative at the table help this situation?
Question of the day, my friend.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 11:24pm
We don't rent pigs

Nobody will like this answer........

but if it's a fifth grade game, especially if it has any deviation from normal rules, (limits on pressing, etc.) especially if any of the officials are less than certified, especially if this happens with the game on the line, put the time back on the clock, and give it to the right team.

What does the book have to do with any of this?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 11:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You're right. No one will like it.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
but if it's a fifth grade game, especially if it has any deviation from normal rules, (limits on pressing, etc.) especially if any of the officials are less than certified, especially if this happens with the game on the line, put the time back on the clock, and give it to the right team.

What does the book have to do with any of this?
So you are saying that it is okay do it wrong because it's just a kiddie game?
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You're right. No one will like it.
Old School would.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 11:34pm
In Time Out

7.5.2 SITUATION A: Team A is awarded a throw-in near the division line. The administering official by mistake, puts the ball at B1's disposal. B1 completes the throw-in and Team B subsequently scores a goal. RULING: No correction can be made for the mistake by the official.

Yeah, I know the rule but if I made a mistake like that I'm going to correct it and I really don't think the coaches and players will mind. But before a shot or let it be. The alternative could be letting the wrong team inbounds and score which would be a bigger mistake.

Especially if you are working by yourself which the ref may have been doing in a grade school game. Always important to know and check who has the ball.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:

Yeah, I know the rule but if I made a mistake like that I'm going to correct it and I really don't think the coaches and players will mind. But before a shot or let it be. The alternative could be letting the wrong team inbounds and score which would be a bigger mistake.

Especially if you are working by yourself which the ref may have been doing in a grade school game. Always important to know and check who has the ball.
Nothing worse than an official who purposely sets aside a rule. People are okay with someone making a mistake, but I can't see anyone backing an official who purposely does something wrong.

If I were the coach who you were screwing, I certainly would mind.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 11:40pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
So you are saying that it is okay do it wrong because it's just a kiddie game?
Do you call traveling the same in a small kids game as you do in a varsity game?

Certain things just don't work in games at this level. A huge percentage of the time, despite any number of warnings, kids this age will step over the line on a throw-in, so we have adjusted the rule and don't call the violation unless they step over with both feet. Kids this age, after a made basket, if nobody stays to help, will frown, then just dribble the ball in themselves. Instead of calling this violation, we blow the whistle and make them do it over correctly. In the play at hand, I doubt seriously any deception was involved, it was just a matter of the first kid to step up, stepped out of bounds and was rewarded with the ball. If you are an inexperienced official, you may not be at all familiar with a rule like this. If you are a veteran, experienced official, the kids will tend to drag you down to their level, which is not altogether a bad thing. There probably weren't three people in the building that knew what the rulebook says in this case. Sometimes you do what is best for the level you are working. This is what I would have done.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Should a college official take that same attitude when working a HS game?