The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PSidbury
What "type" of person does that... ???

Got to talking with a friend today at lunch (non-official) about why certain people seem to always be anti-authoritarian, constantly pissed-off, etc.
Right after we saw some crusty codger tell the waitress the service was horrible.
So, it reminded me of the infamous fan or coach favorite: "You are the worst official ever," and then my friend and I discussed what "type" of person says these things.

The kitchen is running behind and another waitress did not show up that day, so out of no fault to your waitress she cannot get the orders out in time, she cannot keep up with more tables than usual, etc.
And she remains professional. She does not complain to customers and she does not lay blame on the kitchen or the absentees.
Yet, she hears, "This is the worst service ever."
A man runs a stop light in full view of a cop on patrol, so he gets pulled over.
Yet the cop hears, "Don't you have anything better to do? Giving me a ticket for that is horrible, you should be out catching murderers."
There's always "that guy" in the DMV line that starts to get loud and angry and then takes it out on the DMV clerk who had no control of it to begin with.

And the beat goes on...

What "type" of person would go out of his/her way to tell another person, "You are the worst (fill in blank) ever?" without knowing the other side of the story ?
Exactly my point.

This question has nothing to do with how we should react.
We all know how a professional referee is supposed to act in these situations.
My question is about the human condition in general.
I doubt many of us would ever tell a waitress "the service is horrible".
Most likely, if we do initiate dialogue, it is diplomatic and problem-solving in nature.

But, yet some "types" initiate conflict not resolution.

1) What "type" of person does this; and,
2) Does anyone personally know some of these "types" and can better explain this "human condition" ?

Thanks,
Paul
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

There is a guy at work that is Bipolar. He is in a constant war with authority...."I don't do rules" .....road rage type incidents at work and on the road off site. Basically a powder keg if things don't go his way. Med adjustments lately have helped, but........never his fault type of stuff....quite similar to your folks.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra44 View Post
There is a guy at work that is Bipolar. He is in a constant war with authority...."I don't do rules" .....road rage type incidents at work and on the road off site. Basically a powder keg if things don't go his way. Med adjustments lately have helped, but........never his fault type of stuff....quite similar to your folks.
Meds? Hook him up with Mark.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSidbury View Post
1) What "type" of person does this; and,
2) Does anyone personally know some of these "types" and can better explain this "human condition" ?
I'm not sure how much it has to do with officiating, though officials see it often enough.

The general answer is: insecure and defensive people are like this. People who are not confident of their abilities cannot consciously acknowledge when they make a mistake or fail. Consequently they blame others.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 03:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSidbury View Post
Got to talking with a friend today at lunch (non-official) about why certain people seem to always be anti-authoritarian, constantly pissed-off, etc.
So, you guys are talking about me behind my back again. That pisses me off!
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Just because everyone is out to get you doesn't mean you're paraniod...

Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 03:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

As part of my job, I got to ride along with some K9 Officers last week patroling the interstate. We pulled one individual over for towing a trailer that hadn't been registered in 12 years.
"Why are you guys always picking on farmers?"
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

What type of person acts this way??.....

For the most part they are non-officials (and probably coacheslol...
Seriously, I find most officials(at least my friends who are), due to the professional ethics we are taught, are respectful of others in a tense situation where they are put out but see that the one in front of them isnt necessarily to blame...Another side benefit to the craft...
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 04:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
As part of my job, I got to ride along with some K9 Officers last week patroling the interstate. We pulled one individual over for towing a trailer that hadn't been registered in 12 years.
Somewhat OT, but the other day I was walking my dog (he's a small llasa apso) and a cop had just pulled over a woman for speeding. As he was walking back to his patrol car with her license and registration, he nodded at me. I pointed to my dog and asked the officer if he needed any K9 assistance. He smiled. I then said that if that lady was hiding a cheeseburger in her car, my dog could sniff it out. He then laughed and told me that would be a big help.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 04:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra44 View Post
Just because everyone is out to get you doesn't mean you're paraniod...

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone isn't out to get you.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 04:30pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Somewhat OT, but the other day I was walking my dog (he's a small llasa apso) and a cop had just pulled over a woman for speeding. As he was walking back to his patrol car with her license and registration, he nodded at me. I pointed to my dog and asked the officer if he needed any K9 assistance. He smiled. I then said that if that lady was hiding a cheeseburger in her car, my dog could sniff it out. He then laughed and told me that would be a big help.
Now if you would have said a donut, the officer would have immediately deputized your dog!
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 04:47pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
What exactly is your job? And why were you picking on farmers? You sicced the dogs on the farmers?
I have a trailer like that. Hey, I've been busy!!

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

What "type" of personality?

In the Jenkins system - Type A.
In the D.E.S.A. test - Type Expressive.
In the Hippocrates Greek Terms - Type Sanguine.

I like the D.E.S.A. It uses four types and relates each type to a Charlie Brown character. Dominant (Lucy), Expressive (Snoopy), Solid (Charlie B), Analytical (Linus).

Two people with the same interest in the outcome can watch a game and have a totally different reaction when the official makes a call, a ball doesn't go in the basket, or a player is injured.

So... if an official is Dominant, and a coach is Expressive... we could have a situation!
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
What exactly is your job? And why were you picking on farmers? You sicced the dogs on the farmers?
I have a trailer like that. Hey, I've been busy!!
In my "neck of the woods", everyone has a trailer like that, except Bubba. Bubba's trailer is registered so when the rest of us want to use our trailers, we steal the plates off of Bubba's. We always return them so we know where to get them next time we need them.

Bubba is constantly pissed-off. I will study his human condition a little more and get back to you all on why he is like this.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

In my experience, there are two types, the nothings-ever-my-fault type, and the control freak, that have this issue. I think that's pretty much all coaches, and a fair number of officials. Makes for interesting interactions.