The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 05:08pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
In my "neck of the woods", everyone has a trailer like that, except Bubba. Bubba's trailer is registered so when the rest of us want to use our trailers, we steal the plates off of Bubba's. We always return them so we know where to get them next time we need them.
What we actually do is throw a little mud over the corner of the tag so you can't see the year.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 05:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
In my "neck of the woods", everyone has a trailer like that, except Bubba. Bubba's trailer is registered so when the rest of us want to use our trailers, we steal the plates off of Bubba's. We always return them so we know where to get them next time we need them.

Bubba is constantly pissed-off. I will study his human condition a little more and get back to you all on why he is like this.
All well and good, as long as you remember to keep the unregistered trailer off the interstate.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 07:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Now if you would have said a donut, the officer would have immediately deputized your dog!
http://ac4.yt-thm-a01.yimg.com/image/70fb2633e85be38e
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

What "type" of person does that... ???

The kind I do not prefer to hang out with.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
So, you guys are talking about me behind my back again. That pisses me off!
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Bubba is constantly pissed-off. I will study his human condition a little more and get back to you all on why he is like this.
Same thing here. Reminds me of an old (bad) joke:

Q: Do you know why all the men in AR have the same size balls?

A: So they can borrow their buddy's trailer!

Bah, da, bing.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Confessions of a reformed jerk

I lurk around here a lot, but rarely participate. As part of my penance I figured I'd respond to this thread. Bear with me. Its pretty long.

I don't know why other people act like stupid morons at sporting events, or in other parts of their lives, for that matter, and I've asked myself on many occasions why I acted like a stupid moron at a basketball game. Because, trust me, I used to make an a** of myself on a regular basis. I'm not proud, just confessing.

For me, its funny peculiar, because I'm an otherwise pretty laid back, fun loving person. I don't have anger issues anywhere else. And, I don't always have anger issues at a sporting event. I've coached and played on a lot of teams that lost a lot of games, and have many times walked away with my self-respect intact. Really.

Sometimes I don't, though. My stupidity is always associated with a sitatuion that:

1) I have a lot invested in the team (kids, coaching, alma mater, I'm playing)
2) The game is close (we may or may not be winning)
3) Something seems "unfair" - and I don't mean the referees are cheating. I at least know better than that. JR and I had a debate about that a long time ago. By unfair, I mean, it seems like, for example, the same contact on both ends doesn't yield the same result.
4) My frustration snowballs with other people's frustration

I still don't know exactly why I was such a freakin' idiot, but I suspect it had something to do with me feeling like whatever was going on was happening to "me", and I was frustrated because I felt like I couldn't do anything to make it better (control issue?). So, I lashed out at the only other people involved that I thought I could impact - the referees.

That's why this website has been so good for me over the years. Not only have I learned a ton about the rules of the game, I've also learned a lot about refereeing, the people who ref, and their motivations.

As I wrote in another thread awhile ago, I don't say much at games anymore. As a coach I'm much more focused on the game. I still find myself getting agitated in close games sometimes, but I can catch myself and calm myself down.

Am I completely reformed? I wish. But, at least I don't embarrass myself or my family or friends nearly as often. And, hopefully, I don't make it worse on the referees, players or other fans.

One thing that works real well with me is having an official politely put up his hand in the stop signal and tell me "that's enough". Even as a spectator it shuts me up. I think its because the referee's intervention breaks the "frustration snowball" and returns me to a relatively normal state. Now, I'm not saying its a referee's job to control morons like me. Its certainly not. But, as many of you have expressed in anecdoes with fans and coaches, it often works. Kinda like snapping your fingers at someone and saying, "Hey! Wake up!"

So, thats it. I offer no excuses. I don't want any sympathy. I just hope the next time you ref a game I coach or watch that I don't do anything that results in a thread about me the next day on The Official Forum.

- Catherine Aird
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Sure, no problem, happy to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSidbury View Post
What "type" of person would go out of his/her way to tell another person, "You are the worst (fill in blank) ever?" without knowing the other side of the story ?
Exactly my point.

But, yet some "types" initiate conflict not resolution.

1) What "type" of person does this; and,
2) Does anyone personally know some of these "types" and can better explain this "human condition" ?

Thanks,
Paul
The type of person who communicates this way is a frustrated and angry person, at least in that moment. This type of person (frustrated & angry) feels like they've been treated unfairly somehow. While there may be bonafide reasons behind whatever has happened, this type of person is frustrated and isn't interested in excuses. Unfortunately this type of person hasn't learned that exhibiting their frustration & anger will most likely lead to more of the same- particularly if it's a coach yelling at a referee.

I've only told one referee that he's, "the worst ever;" and he didn't even whack me, which kind of says something about the accuracy of my proclamation if you ask me. I called him that because he is the worst I've ever seen and I was frustrated and angry. I seriously doubt that his ranking will ever be challenged in my time. So other than perhaps the occasional reminder to this one particular official, that's a comment I guard closely. You have to earn it. I'm not going to just willy-nilly say that to any random official just because I don't happen to agree with the call.

Look, truth be told, I'm fairly certain that I probably make more mistakes in strategy & tactics while coaching a game than the officials do while officiating the same game. In my experience the video backs up the call way more often than it doesn't.