The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Players stepping out of the playing court while dribling

Hi guys,

please could you help me with some doubts that keep coming up...I am pretty sure this question has been asked before but I could'nt find it.

Can a player step out of the playing court while dribbling?

Example:The defender steps on the sideline, the dribbler manage to tap the ball ahead while still dribbling steps out of the playing court however before touching the ball he steps back into the court.

Thanks
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 02:04pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianH View Post
Hi guys,

please could you help me with some doubts that keep coming up...I am pretty sure this question has been asked before but I could'nt find it.

Can a player step out of the playing court while dribbling?

Example:The defender steps on the sideline, the dribbler manage to tap the ball ahead while still dribbling steps out of the playing court however before touching the ball he steps back into the court. A1 has player control of the ball while dribbling and is considered to be in contact while dribbling the ball and therefore causes the ball to be out-of-bounds.

Thanks

ChristianH:

Yes, A1 can step out-of-bounds while dribbling the ball, but he will have caused the ball to go out-of-bounds and Team B will receive the ball for a throw-in nearest the spot of the violation.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Hi Mark,

even if while A1 is out of bounds he is not touching the ball?

Thanks
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 02:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I have no idea with FIBA rules, but if player control is maintained, it's illegal whether he's touching the ball while standing OOB or nor. If player control is lost (an interrupted dribble), it's legal.

As a rule of thumb for me, if the ball bounces more than once or twice between contact with the dribbler, it's interrupted.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 02:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

See label for sequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If player control is lost (an interrupted dribble), it's legal. As a rule of thumb for me, if the ball bounces more than once or twice between contact with the dribbler, it's interrupted.
4-15-6: During an interrupted dribble:
d. Out-of-bounds violation does not apply on the player involved in the
interrupted dribble.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
4-15-6: During an interrupted dribble:
d. Out-of-bounds violation does not apply on the player involved in the
interrupted dribble.

That's at least twice that you've quoted a (relevant) rule in the past couple of days. Thanks.

On this play, one could also cite 9-3 NOTE: The dribbler has committed a violation if he/she steps on or outside a boundary, even though he/she is not touching the ball while he/she is out of bounds.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 11:19pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
I have no idea with FIBA rules, but if player control is maintained, it's illegal whether he's touching the ball while standing OOB or nor. If player control is lost (an interrupted dribble), it's legal.

As a rule of thumb for me, if the ball bounces more than once or twice between contact with the dribbler, it's interrupted.
FIBA Ruling:

Legal play. If the dribbler is touching OB while the ball is not touching his person, play on. If the dribbler re-establishes IB while touching the ball, play on.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 11:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
FIBA Ruling:

Legal play. If the dribbler is touching OB while the ball is not touching his person, play on. If the dribbler re-establishes IB while touching the ball, play on.
Thanks. The NFHS rule makes more sense to me; since player control is continuous during a dribble, it makes sense to consider it a violation for a player in control of the ball to step on the line even if that player doesn't happen to be touching the ball at the time.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 11:47pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Thanks. The NFHS rule makes more sense to me; since player control is continuous during a dribble, it makes sense to consider it a violation for a player in control of the ball to step on the line even if that player doesn't happen to be touching the ball at the time.
IIRC, the Fed calls for a violation if A1 dribbles, then steps OB while not touching the ball. Is my memory correct?
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 12:20am
We don't rent pigs

It also should be noted that even during an interrupted dribble, if the dribbler deliberately goes out of bounds at any point this is also a violation.

9-3-3

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 11:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
It also should be noted that even during an interrupted dribble, if the dribbler deliberately goes out of bounds at any point this is also a violation.

9-3-3
That rule is for leaving the playing court. I think there's a subtle distinction. If A1 steps on the line, he's OOB but I don't think he's really left the playing court. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 11:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
IIRC, the Fed calls for a violation if A1 dribbles, then steps OB while not touching the ball. Is my memory correct?
As long as the dribble isn't interrupted when he does it.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 12:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Avoid contact with skin.

Quote:
That rule is for leaving the playing court. I think there's a subtle distinction. If A1 steps on the line, he's OOB but I don't think he's really left the playing court. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.
Subtle distinctions? You bet.

First, the rule regarding leaving the "playing court" actually reads leaving the "floor". 9-3-3: A player shall not leave the floor for an unauthorized reason. What's the floor? I can't find a definition of floor anywhere in the NFHS Rulebook.

Second, let's move on to whether, or not, the boundaries are part of the "court". There's no question that the boundaries are out of bounds.
4-9-1: Boundary lines of the court consist of end lines and sidelines.
4-9-2: The inside edges of these lines define the inbounds and out-ofbounds
areas.

But are the boundaries part of the court?
1-1: The playing court shall be a rectangular surface free from obstructions and with dimensions not greater than 94 feet in length by 50 feet in width.
1-2-1: The playing court shall be marked with sidelines, end lines and other lines as shown on the appended court diagram.
Here's where it gets "fuzzy". If you're on a playing court that's 50 feet wide, the Basketball Court Diagram, at the beginning of the Rulebook, states that the dimensions are measured "inside the sidelines", so the boundaries must not be part of the playing court. However, the rules also state that the playing court must be marked by "sidelines, end lines", etc., which seems to imply, although I disagree with this, that the boundaries may be considered part of the playing court, since the playing court is marked by boundaries.

I am most interested in, and still want to know, what the definition of "floor" is? Does anybody else?

Snaqwells: Great post. Thanks. Now that the season is winding down for many of us, these are the type of posts that some of us need to stay sharp during the off season. And thought provoking posts like yours will also keep me from going back to my bad habits of posting images.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 01, 2009 at 12:31pm.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 12:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Billy, I think the case plays give us some insight into the committee's intent with this rule. Taking a few steps out of bounds to avoid a screen or defender is leaving the floor.

A defender gives up LGP by having a foot touching the line, but the rules (or case plays) say nothing about a 9-3-3 violation being committed; otherwise we could avoid the foul by calling a defensive violation for leaving the floor.