The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

T on Cincy player

Anybody see the Cincy - WVU game last night?

A Cincy player said something to the ref and got T'ed up, but Cincy got to keep the ball. I thought it was two shots and the ball? Did they change the rule in college? Bobby Knight even said that it was a really stupid play by the kid because they give the other team two free throws and lose possession. They came back from break and Cincy kept the ball.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
"Baby" T and "BIG" T, not sure of their technical terms thought this changed a couple years ago, probably was the lesser which is the FT's and POI, I believe. Didn't see it so hard to comment (but I guess I just did).

Did see the two T's in the Gonzaga game for fans throwing stuff on the court, that was a bit ridiculous.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

College basketball is 2 FT and the ball at the point of interuption.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
Anybody see the Cincy - WVU game last night?

A Cincy player said something to the ref and got T'ed up, but Cincy got to keep the ball. I thought it was two shots and the ball? Did they change the rule in college? Bobby Knight even said that it was a really stupid play by the kid because they give the other team two free throws and lose possession. They came back from break and Cincy kept the ball.
the enforcement of both technicals and both intentional fouls was proper in this game - however the announcers blew one of the intentionals and the technical you refer.

1st intentional UC ball in front court Toyloy makes a cut across the lane and knocks the defender down very hard foul, Officials meet discuss and go to the monitor, they couls at this point upgrade the foule to intentional flagrant or a fight.
They did a good job and called the intentional for excessive contact WV ball backcourt endline. (box score lists this as a Technical ??)

1st technical Cronin calls to one of the officials the length of the floor, "you MF" after what was a great travel call and WV shoots two and get the ball baseline front court. (this was issued as a team technical to the Bench)

2nd Technical UC player Larry Davis drives to the basket, thinks he gets fouled and has something to say to say to the official directly and is rewarded with a T. Shoot two at the WV basket come back and UC ball front court basline

2nd intentional UC crosses mid court after a backcourt baseline inbound and WV player tackles Yancy Gates for the intentional foul Gates shoots two UC inbounds Mid court.

The box score should not be right on the first foul I listed.
The ball was at the disposal of the inbounder - so the ball is live and in team control when Toloy made contact, there is no reason this would be a technical with live ball contact, and Toyloy stays in the game.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
the enforcement of both technicals and both intentional fouls was proper in this game - however the announcers blew one of the intentionals and the technical you refer.

1st intentional UC ball in front court Toyloy makes a cut across the lane and knocks the defender down very hard foul, Officials meet discuss and go to the monitor, they couls at this point upgrade the foule to intentional flagrant or a fight.
They did a good job and called the intentional for excessive contact WV ball backcourt endline. (box score lists this as a Technical ??)

1st technical Cronin calls to one of the officials the length of the floor, "you MF" after what was a great travel call and WV shoots two and get the ball baseline front court. (this was issued as a team technical to the Bench)

2nd Technical UC player Larry Davis drives to the basket, thinks he gets fouled and has something to say to say to the official directly and is rewarded with a T. Shoot two at the WV basket come back and UC ball front court basline

2nd intentional UC crosses mid court after a backcourt baseline inbound and WV player tackles Yancy Gates for the intentional foul Gates shoots two UC inbounds Mid court.

The box score should not be right on the first foul I listed.
The ball was at the disposal of the inbounder - so the ball is live and in team control when Toloy made contact, there is no reason this would be a technical with live ball contact, and Toyloy stays in the game.
When they showed that first intentional on ESPN last night, they kept referring to it as a technical. All the while, the thrower has the ball so the ball is clearly live.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 05:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishstripes View Post
"Baby" T and "BIG" T, not sure of their technical terms thought this changed a couple years ago, probably was the lesser which is the FT's and POI, I believe. Didn't see it so hard to comment (but I guess I just did).

Did see the two T's in the Gonzaga game for fans throwing stuff on the court, that was a bit ridiculous.
Unsporting Ts go POI. A few Ts (extra TO, dead ball contact) also include a throwin.