The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

I didn't say anything

At halftime in tonight's game, the R says, you all need to get in the game. I told him I needed specifics. I stayed for a minute then left to get some water. Normally I'll listen but I just wasn't in the mood for it tonight. Earlier there had been some confusion as to the score. He told the two of us that we needed to take a quick glance at the score to make sure the three pointers were scored correctly?

Anyway, late in the game a techical was given. I start to head down to the correct basket when I realize that R is setting up the shot at the wrong basket! I blow my whistle and get it moved down to the correct basket.

I said nothing. Didn't need to. He knew.

Rita
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Nice work, Rita. When I get a partner like this, part of me hopes for a screw-up that exposes them, but then I understand that it isn't fair to the players. This, on the other hand, worked out well.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Verba movent, exempla trahunt.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 11:25am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy View Post
Nice work, Rita. When I get a partner like this, part of me hopes for a screw-up that exposes them, but then I understand that it isn't fair to the players. This, on the other hand, worked out well.
I (U2) had a game once (3-man) where the U1 went on a mini-tirade at halftime b/c he thought too many calls were being made outside of our primaries (whether he had a point or not was lost behind his deplorable attitude). In the 2nd half U1 has a shooting foul followed immediately by a double T called by me. And what do you know, in the midst of all the reporting he loses the shooter and we end up with a correctable error. And mind you, after the 1st free throw I blew my whistle to see if we had the correct shooter and we still proceeded to let the wrong shooter shoot the 2nd free throw. The 2nd free throw missed and during the rebounding action there was a whistle for a foul. That's when the Crew Chief realized we had had the wrong shooter.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 07:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No shoes, no shirt, no service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Verba movent, exempla trahunt
Words move people, examples compel them. Deeds, not words, give the example.

It's hard enough translating mbyron English into plain English, now I have to deal with mbyron Latin?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 07:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

It's hard enough translating mbyron English into plain English, now I have to deal with mbyron Latin?
I took two years of Latin in HS and two years in college. My most vivid memory was from the textbook we used my first year in which words were "made up" to simulate Latin just to get us interested. One story was about a boy and a girl who went on a "picus-nicus" and drank "cocam-colam". No, I'm not kidding.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 08:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

If ingested, do not induce vomiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I took two years of Latin in HS and two years in college.
Why did these schools allow you to take these courses for credit when Latin was the language that you, and your family, spoke at home. The Padgett family had a good thing going, until the Huns showed up. Sand-bagger.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up LOVE the Billy Mac "Labels"!!!

Just have to say, they are the greatest!

Keep'em coming!!!
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you were having a bit of a rough night. I don't see anything wrong with R saying you need to get in the game. There are some nights I may be a bit off and not as focused. So...a little directive to get in the game is helpful and I get in the game. A little nudge doesnt hurt, we all need a little correctable encouragement, but i will say it all depends on how one delivers it...
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
Sounds like you were having a bit of a rough night. I don't see anything wrong with R saying you need to get in the game. There are some nights I may be a bit off and not as focused. So...a little directive to get in the game is helpful and I get in the game. A little nudge doesnt hurt, we all need a little correctable encouragement, but i will say it all depends on how one delivers it...
It's a meaningless phrase. Actually I thought we were doing fine.

Rita
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 11:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Sounds to me the R was projecting.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Who are you calling an idiom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

A more idiomatic translation: "practice what you preach."
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

2 samplings from my last month

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I (U2) had a game once (3-man) where the U1 went on a mini-tirade at halftime b/c he thought too many calls were being made outside of our primaries (whether he had a point or not was lost behind his deplorable attitude). In the 2nd half U1 has a shooting foul followed immediately by a double T called by me. And what do you know, in the midst of all the reporting he loses the shooter and we end up with a correctable error. And mind you, after the 1st free throw I blew my whistle to see if we had the correct shooter and we still proceeded to let the wrong shooter shoot the 2nd free throw. The 2nd free throw missed and during the rebounding action there was a whistle for a foul. That's when the Crew Chief realized we had had the wrong shooter.
One game where it was a terribly played game by both teams and we get to the locker room and R says we could have done better. When pressed how, he said and I quote, "um...er...well uh...." U1 and I were able to talk after and went over plays and concluded we had over 50 fouls and the only way our crew could have been better would have been if the R would have had no calls on at least 4 or 5 occasions. Next time I worked with him he said I did much better this game than last. Go figure. I found out he won't think the game is going well unless he has the majority of the calls.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 02:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
Sounds to me like the R needed to look in the mirror and repeat the following: "Pot. Kettle. Black."

Frankly, most times an official says something that starts with "you need to" in a game he is ALSO working, he needs to shut up and take care of his own.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 02:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refguy View Post
One game where it was a terribly played game by both teams and we get to the locker room and R says we could have done better. When pressed how, he said and I quote, "um...er...well uh...." U1 and I were able to talk after and went over plays and concluded we had over 50 fouls and the only way our crew could have been better would have been if the R would have had no calls on at least 4 or 5 occasions. Next time I worked with him he said I did much better this game than last. Go figure. I found out he won't think the game is going well unless he has the majority of the calls.
I don't quite get this "R" thing. I was the R last night. I tossed the jump. After that, we were a team that had coverage responsibilities. Just cause the quarter starts with the ball in my hand doesn't make me special.