The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 12:20am
Keeper of the HAMMER

There's a JV boys coach here in a wheel chair. His assistant does not stand, but the HC does not have a booming voice so timeout requests tend to get augmented in heated moments during the game. The only time I saw the assistant stand was when the HC was requesting a TO, AC stood up to mirror.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

I don't see why she can't be the HC. She can move about in front of the bench in her wheelchair as she pleases and request a time-out from it without any problem. There is absolutely no rule requiring a HC to be standing while requesting a time-out. While it may help an official observe the request because the person is more visible, that task can certainly be done from the a sitting position. One could claim that she would be at a small disadvantage in this situation, but then so would any HC who is short. Do we think that tall coaches have a significant advantage when they are standing up? I seriously doubt it.

Therefore, I have no problem with her being the HC. However, I would not allow her husband to also utilize the coaching box and request time-outs. One or the other gets those rights, and I don't care which, but not both.

Lastly, there is NO rule which states that an assistant coach cannot address the officials or ask questions during the game. I would answer any question that she posed.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

We have a local coach in a wheelchair. His assistants do not stand up...ever. He rolls around in his bench area. The times that he earns a technical, he goes to the end of the bench and sets his brake. When he wants a time-out, his assistants call for one with him- while seated- and he has his players trained to ask for one if we don't see him. We have never had a problem with this. All it takes is a little common sense.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Sorry to read that it went down that way but I do side with the coach and it was unfortunate it came to what it did.

Before any of you cite the rules, let me be blunt. In this instance I will go by the spirit any day over the letter.

I didn't know Nevada is patched in Michigan

Edit: Ok, just read your post, you big softy!

Last edited by fullor30; Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 10:15am.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 10:27am
Administrator

I agree with everything that Nevada said. There is no reason for the MichiganHSAA to make the stupid ruling that it did in otherwords logic was not used when finding a solution or a ruling. I will admit that it appeared that the officials did have there head's stuck up where the son does not shine when it came to logic, good manners, and respect.

There is a gentleman who had been the girls' varsity coach at three different high schools in the Toledo area over the last 20 years and he was an outstanding wheelchair basketball player. He did his thing just like anyother coach but he did it from his wheelchair.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 10:33am
Official & Member

What am I missing here?

This is a case that just makes me scratch my head and wonder how there can be officials calling games absent any common sense.

Unless I'm missing something, and I think others have asked already...Why, exactly, can't she be a head coach? Is it the "standing in the coaches box" issue? Where does the fed or the state of MI require someone stand to call a time out?

Discipline the officials on the game and move on. I wish her well in the post season.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Me too, but to be honest, the comment in the article about the occasional official or player tripping over the wheelchair makes me cringe.
I'm with Rich here. Having had a father in a wheelchair for many years, there is no way I'd want that thing too close to a sideline, especially if it juts out from a standard bleacher seat or chair line. This could be a heckuvan injury waiting to happen (player, official and coach herself alike).

The "Who gets to call timeout?/Who's in the box?" questions are no-brainers. You have somebody with a severe physical handicap and you make reasonable accommodations for it (hello, Americans with Disabilities Act).

But back to the wheelchair. The coach's chair should be mandated to be flush with any other chair/seating line (including wooden bleacher seats). If necessary, she can sit on said bleacher. Collapse the wheelchair into the space next to or behind her. It shouldn't be a major problem to pop it out for any "traveling" needs (i.e. to the locker room, restroom, etc.). Her players can come to her during the game. That would be sensible accommodation on her part (especially after she's been given due consideration, as mentioned in the previous paragraph).
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
I don't like it. I don't like the idea of someone other than the head coach being allowed to stand. Dealing with timeout requests from coaches are hard enough; having an assistant standing with the head coach requesting timeouts while sitting would only make it harder.

If this lady wants someone else to stand then that is fine with me, but the other guy who stands gets all the other duties of the head coach as well including requesting timeouts, verifying that his players are properly equipped, being responsible for bench personal, and very importantly dealing with the officials.... If the school wants to hire the lady as the head coach and list her as the head coach on the team roster they can do that as being the head coach does not require the use of the coaching box.
Wow! Do you have a heart? This is such a minor issue and you go on a rant like someone shot your dog.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 11:09am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I have had the occasion to officiate for a JV coach in a wheelchair on numerous occasions. He also has coach AAU. Had problems with the AC in one game on the other team. Told that he would need to stay seated, he started whining about back problems. I glanced over to the other bench, and he shut up. He later got a T, though.

Obviously the concern of the officials may have been "What about the other team's AC?" To that I would probably address that in the pre-game and get the opponents on the same page. "The AC will stand in order to request timeouts. Do you have an issue with that?" All other coaching duties can remain with the HC in the wheelchair. That is what 2-3 is for. Nowhere in the rules is there something that deals with a HC confined to a wheelchair. Too bad it had to come to a ruling issued by the state when common sense could have prevailed.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 11:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Nowhere in the rules is there something that deals with a HC confined to a wheelchair. Too bad it had to come to a ruling issued by the state when common sense could have prevailed.
I think the ruling is good.
The ruling takes the guess out of the equation for the next games' official(s).
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 11:19am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I think the ruling is good.
The ruling takes the guess out of the equation for the next games' official(s).
In VT, there are some waivers granted by the state principals association for things such as mouthguards & concussion headbands. Your point is well taken.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 11:44am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
.... If the school wants to hire the lady as the head coach and list her as the head coach on the team roster they can do that as being the head coach does not require the use of the coaching box.
She was the HC before becoming paralyzed. She retained her job after the surgical accident as she rightfully should have been allowed to do. Being a HC doesn't require the use of legs. The Michigan High School Athletic Association has provided the necessary guidance to handle the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I agree with everything that Nevada said. There is no reason for the MichiganHSAA to make the stupid ruling that it did in otherwords logic was not used when finding a solution or a ruling.
What's so stupid about the ruling? The AC gets to stand to coach the kids. He gets no other HC privileges.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 11:58am.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 12:23pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I just had a game in which the HC was in the wheelchair. The coaches in her conference and district have gotten used to it, and they were of no opposition when she requested that her AC would stand and request the timeout when they wanted to request one. We three officials had no problem with it either. Of course, I had no problems with making whatever accomodations because I am a person covered under the ADA as well, and I don't think my partners wanted to mess around on that topic (because they know very well that lecturing about the rights and privileges covered under the ADA is part of my day job!).
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 01:02pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
She was the HC before becoming paralyzed. She retained her job after the surgical accident as she rightfully should have been allowed to do. Being a HC doesn't require the use of legs. The Michigan High School Athletic Association has provided the necessary guidance to handle the situation.

What's so stupid about the ruling? The AC gets to stand to coach the kids. He gets no other HC privileges.

Read my post completely and some of the others who have posted who, like me, have officiated games where one of the teams was coached by a HC in a wheel chair. The HC in the wheel chair was able to do his job without any special considerations. I am going to catch a hell of a lot a heat for my next comment and that is this: Of all of the HC's in wheel chairs, it was only HC of the female persuasion that complained she couldn't do her job and needed an AC to stand. I am not condoning the unprofessional conduct of the officials in her game, but if other HC's in wheel chairs can do their job without special considerations, so can she.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 02:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Read my post completely and some of the others who have posted who, like me, have officiated games where one of the teams was coached by a HC in a wheel chair. The HC in the wheel chair was able to do his job without any special considerations. I am going to catch a hell of a lot a heat for my next comment and that is this: Of all of the HC's in wheel chairs, it was only HC of the female persuasion that complained she couldn't do her job and needed an AC to stand. I am not condoning the unprofessional conduct of the officials in her game, but if other HC's in wheel chairs can do their job without special considerations, so can she.

MTD, Sr.
Mark, Sr.,
The Lady coach complained, or asked the State association ?
The Men coaches asked the State association and were turned down ?
Did the State association act on it's own or per request ?
Tell me the rest of the story, I don't know it.