The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 22, 2003, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Has anyone else noticed how poor the picture quality is when ESPN or ABC broadcasts a game? It looks like the Knicks-Lakers from 1970. TNT games have a much brighter and clearer picture. What gives?
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 08:44am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Has anyone else noticed how poor the picture quality is when ESPN or ABC broadcasts a game? It looks like the Knicks-Lakers from 1970. TNT games have a much brighter and clearer picture. What gives?
The picture may be fuzzy, but the outcome seems clear.
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

What is the delivery mechanism? Analog Cable? Dish Network? DirecTV? Rooftop Antenna? C or Ku band Analog Satellite?

In my experience, the quality problems are more often a result of the delivery, not the generation of the program.

Usually, the quality order is (from best to worst, and not considering HDTV options):

C/Ku-band Satellite
Rooftop Antenna
Dish Network
DirectTV
Analog Cable

Digital cable varies from town to town. It can rival the digital satellite providers but often is no better than Analog cable due to excessive compression.

The C/Ku-band satellite broadcast (sometimes in a higher quality digital form) is often the original from which all the others are derived.
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

In this case, I'm comparing apples to apples. Whether I'm watching my C band dish, cable, or DirecTV, the picture quality is so much better on TNT than the fuzzy, foogy picutre on ABC or ESPN.

Notice tonight how good the TNT picture is, then compare it to the ABC broadcast tomorrow night.
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
In this case, I'm comparing apples to apples. Whether I'm watching my C band dish, cable, or DirecTV, the picture quality is so much better on TNT than the fuzzy, foogy picutre on ABC or ESPN.

Notice tonight how good the TNT picture is, then compare it to the ABC broadcast tomorrow night.
This is interesting, I'll take notice tonight. If you get the same difference in quality on all your receptions then the problem must be in how TNT transcodes & uplinks their content vs ABC/ESPN (Disney, no?)...I myself have seen differences between MSG Knick games & TNT Knick games (occasionally both deliver the same game), the MSG content does seem "washed out" (narrower color range) compared to the TNT content and the audio seems to be of lesser quality as well.

Also could be a camera issue, but I can't believe that TNT's camera are better than ABC's. (Maybe TNT uses HD cameras converted down to NTSC for b'cast? Who knows...)

Also could be that Tony's just plain nuts.

Old Fri May 23, 2003, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

This is interesting, I'll take notice tonight. If you get the same difference in quality on all your receptions then the problem must be in how TNT transcodes & uplinks their content vs ABC/ESPN (Disney, no?)...I myself have seen differences between MSG Knick games & TNT Knick games (occasionally both deliver the same game), the MSG content does seem "washed out" (narrower color range) compared to the TNT content and the audio seems to be of lesser quality as well.

Also could be a camera issue, but I can't believe that TNT's camera are better than ABC's. (Maybe TNT uses HD cameras converted down to NTSC for b'cast? Who knows...)

Also could be that Tony's just plain nuts.
Hell ya I'm nuts! What's that got to do with it?

I'm telling you Dan, ABC's picture quality looks like it did when they had the NBA back in the seventies. Maybe they left the cameras in the arenas for the last 25 years.

BTW, I'd rather be nuts than short!
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

BTW, I'd rather be nuts than short!
Sigh...OK, but you asked for it

Old Sat May 24, 2003, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

LOL! My friend Chuck!!!