The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

"interesting calls"

I chalked this one up as one I'll probably (and hopefully) never see again. I am a fan (not a ref) watching a JV match. Team B has spot throw-in under their own bucket. A6, a sub, is waved in by trail. A5 being replaced, begins walking off the court. The lead official, not watching his trail (who was not giving the open handed "pause" signal to his partner), puts the ball in play as player A5 is still 15 feet from his bench on the court. Trail official calls technical for Team A having 6 players on the court. Refs don't confer, Ts are shot. Oy.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski View Post
I chalked this one up as one I'll probably (and hopefully) never see again. I am a fan (not a ref) watching a JV match. Team B has spot throw-in under their own bucket. A6, a sub, is waved in by trail. A5 being replaced, begins walking off the court. The lead official, not watching his trail (who was not giving the open handed "pause" signal to his partner), puts the ball in play as player A5 is still 15 feet from his bench on the court. Trail official calls technical for Team A having 6 players on the court. Refs don't confer, Ts are shot. Oy.

Vey...........
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Which is why they're both still working JV.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 02:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Quote:
A6, a sub, is waved in by trail. A5 being replaced, begins walking off the court. The lead official, not watching his trail, who was not giving the open handed "pause" signal to his partner, puts the ball in play as player A5 is still 15 feet from his bench on the court. Trail official calls technical for Team A having 6 players on the court.
What a mess. Three problems:

First, during a stopped clock, dead ball period, when substitutes are reporting, and replacing players, the officials should always be making eye contact with each other.

Second, the official who beckoned in the substitute should have his, or her, open hand up until there are only ten players on the court.

Third, if A5 was making progress, even slow progress, on his, or her, way to the bench, when the ball was being put into play, and Team A was not gaining an advantage by having, technically, six players on the court, then I wouldn't have issued the technical foul in this situation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 02:43pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Oy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Vey...........
Got it! Nice!
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 03:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Watching the freshman game before mine, A1 goes in for a layup and B1 goes up and tries to block it, hitting the backboard in the process (same side as the shot). He hit it very lightly. Lead official (yes, the lead) blows his whistle and calls a T.
The shot went in, they made both free throws and a shot off the ensuing possession. Went from 3 down to 3 up just like that.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 04:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Some equipment shown is optional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
A1 goes in for a layup and B1 goes up and tries to block it, hitting the backboard in the process (same side as the shot). He hit it very lightly. Lead official blows his whistle and calls a T.
"Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." (Oliver Hardy, 1930)

Is this the same official from the original post? If so, what part of one of this season's Points of Emphasis did he, or she, not understand?

4. SLAPPING THE BACKBOARD. The incidents of players slapping the backboard are increasing throughout the country. The rules specify that “intentionally slapping or striking the backboard” is a technical foul (10-3-5). The spirit and intent of that rule is to penalize a player for drawing attention to him/herself or as a means of venting frustration. A player who strikes the backboard in a legitimate attempt to block a try for goal should not be penalized. Basket interference cannot be ruled in either of the above situations. Basket interference only occurs if the ball is interfered with while in the cylinder above the basket ring or by touching either the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket (4-6).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 08:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

One of the vasity officials was there really early (I was on the JV game) and came in with us at the end of the third quarter. When the frosh guys came in, he brought it up an dealt with it. I didn't have to find out, that way, and we were able to focus on our own pregame.

I think he had heard the calling official tell his partner, "he wasn't trying to block it." My thought (and he concurred) was that if it's even close, benefit goes to a no-call there.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
"Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." (Oliver Hardy, 1930)

Is this the same official from the original post? If so, what part of one of this season's Points of Emphasis did he, or she, not understand?

4. SLAPPING THE BACKBOARD. The incidents of players slapping the backboard are increasing throughout the country. The rules specify that “intentionally slapping or striking the backboard” is a technical foul (10-3-5). The spirit and intent of that rule is to penalize a player for drawing attention to him/herself or as a means of venting frustration. A player who strikes the backboard in a legitimate attempt to block a try for goal should not be penalized. Basket interference cannot be ruled in either of the above situations. Basket interference only occurs if the ball is interfered with while in the cylinder above the basket ring or by touching either the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket (4-6).
I had this chat with a fellow official the other day. If the ball is in the imaginary cylinder, but not on or within the basket, and the ring is contacted (i.e. pulled down or grasped), is it BI?

On an unrelated point, I had one the other day where a kid went up for a dunk. As he tried to flush it, the ball bounced up about two feet above the rim. His hand grabbed the rim for a split second before he let it go, and the ball falls in immediately. Of course the idiots on the stands are yelling "That's goaltending!"
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
during a stopped clock, dead ball period, when substitutes are reporting, and replacing players, the officials should always be making eye contact with each other.
I STRONGLY disagree with this. The officials should be watching the PLAYERS, not each other. Eye contact isn't necessary until right before you put the ball into play.

In this situation, its as much the responsibility of the official administering the throw in to make sure only 5 of each team are on the court as it is the other official(s). These problems happen because people get in too big of a hurry. Slow down, make sure your partner doesn't have his hand up, double check the count of players, THEN put the ball into play. If your partner never puts his hand up with beckoning subs, you need to correct that at halftime or between games, but that doesn't mean you completely ignore how many players are on the floor.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 09:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Was the game tied with just a few seconds to go? If so, it's a good call.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 09:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Penalty for private use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I STRONGLY disagree with this. The officials should be watching the PLAYERS, not each other. Eye contact isn't necessary until right before you put the ball into play. In this situation, its as much the responsibility of the official administering the throw in to make sure only 5 of each team are on the court as it is the other official(s). These problems happen because people get in too big of a hurry. Slow down, make sure your partner doesn't have his hand up, double check the count of players, THEN put the ball into play. If your partner never puts his hand up with beckoning subs, you need to correct that at halftime or between games, but that doesn't mean you completely ignore how many players are on the floor.
All good points. Rookie officials, please take note. This is a classic example of preventative officiating, in this case preventing having to penalize with a technical foul for having six players on the court.

Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 09:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Some assembly required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
If the ball is in the imaginary cylinder, but not on or within the basket, and the ring is contacted (i.e. pulled down or grasped), is it BI?
A player cannot touch the ball, ring, or net while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. These are examples of basket interference. It is legal to touch the ring or the net if the ball is above the ring and not touching the ring, even if the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. It is legal to hang on the ring if a player is avoiding an injury to himself or herself or another player.

Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 09:16pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Was the game tied with just a few seconds to go? If so, it's a good call.
Another item for the tied near the end of the game bag of tricks.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A player cannot touch the ball, ring, or net while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. These are examples of basket interference. It is legal to touch the ring or the net if the ball is above the ring and not touching the ring, even if the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. It is legal to hang on the ring if a player is avoiding an injury to himself or herself or another player.
The person I was discussing this with said that touching the basket with the ball in the cylinder was BI. I disagreed.