View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 02:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski View Post
A6, a sub, is waved in by trail. A5 being replaced, begins walking off the court. The lead official, not watching his trail, who was not giving the open handed "pause" signal to his partner, puts the ball in play as player A5 is still 15 feet from his bench on the court. Trail official calls technical for Team A having 6 players on the court.
What a mess. Three problems:

First, during a stopped clock, dead ball period, when substitutes are reporting, and replacing players, the officials should always be making eye contact with each other.

Second, the official who beckoned in the substitute should have his, or her, open hand up until there are only ten players on the court.

Third, if A5 was making progress, even slow progress, on his, or her, way to the bench, when the ball was being put into play, and Team A was not gaining an advantage by having, technically, six players on the court, then I wouldn't have issued the technical foul in this situation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)