View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 04:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Some equipment shown is optional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
A1 goes in for a layup and B1 goes up and tries to block it, hitting the backboard in the process (same side as the shot). He hit it very lightly. Lead official blows his whistle and calls a T.
"Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." (Oliver Hardy, 1930)

Is this the same official from the original post? If so, what part of one of this season's Points of Emphasis did he, or she, not understand?

4. SLAPPING THE BACKBOARD. The incidents of players slapping the backboard are increasing throughout the country. The rules specify that “intentionally slapping or striking the backboard” is a technical foul (10-3-5). The spirit and intent of that rule is to penalize a player for drawing attention to him/herself or as a means of venting frustration. A player who strikes the backboard in a legitimate attempt to block a try for goal should not be penalized. Basket interference cannot be ruled in either of the above situations. Basket interference only occurs if the ball is interfered with while in the cylinder above the basket ring or by touching either the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket (4-6).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)