The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Article on refs in Det Free Press

Here is the link:

http://www.freep.com/article/2009022...+topic+of+refs

This year more than any other, I am getting comments that refs either call too much or not enough, that consistency is an issue. Fans and coaches are commenting that refs are taking the rules not literal enough and calling the game on how they "interpret" the rule. Example, battles under the hoop for position have become overly aggressive without calls, travels are never called enough yet we continue to call "ticky-tac" fouls. I watch games as much to watch the refs and what/how they call versus the players themselves. My fellow refs and I discuss these issues on the way to games and, for the first time, I hear refs being somewhat critical of other refs. Our state, Michigan, recently went to having boys and girls basketball seasons combined. There are many weeks where we ref up to 8 games (JV and V) a week. I see guys getting tired. Are you guys finding the same in your areas?
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

If it was easy, everyone would do it.
That said, I think officials should be willing to admitt if they are overworked or becoming fatigued. To many times we want to be bullet proof and this is at the expence of the players and the game.
I myself had to take a couple af days off to recoupe from a cold. Not a bad one, it just left me a little tired and grumpy. I found myself being short with coaches and not having the fun I usually have. This hasn't happened before, and I don't want a medal, but I will need to be watchfull of this in the future. Officiating is not about me,as I would some timess think it is. We tend to think to much about ourselves these days and less about others and how we effect them. I can't speak for everyone or all the complaints people have at all levels of the game, but it could be possible, to many games are being worked by to few officials. I don't know the numbers but I guess it is an excuse people will use. I have nothing but respect for the other guys in my proffession and would like to think we always try to do the right thing. I'll get off the soap box now.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski View Post
Our state, Michigan, recently went to having boys and girls basketball seasons combined. There are many weeks where we ref up to 8 games (JV and V) a week. I see guys getting tired. Are you guys finding the same in your areas?
No. We've always played boys and girls during the winter. I normally work 4-6 games per week, almost always in doubleheaders. Fatigue is not an issue.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 02:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Here is the link:

Michigan, recently went to having boys and girls basketball seasons combined. There are many weeks where we ref up to 8 games (JV and V) a week. I see guys getting tired. Are you guys finding the same in your areas?
I have never known this to be another way. In my state many of the top officials work one side or the other. I know on the Boy's side a lot of officials never work a single girl's game all season. If anything many officials might be working other levels like college, Men's Leagues and YMCA type leagues on their off days from high school.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This year more than any other, I am getting comments that refs either call too much or not enough, that consistency is an issue. Fans and coaches are commenting that refs are taking the rules not literal enough and calling the game on how they "interpret" the rule.
They heard it from some TV commentator, or read it in a newspaper column, or saw it in a movie. It's completely meaningless.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here is the link:

http://www.freep.com/article/2009022...+topic+of+refs

This year more than any other, I am getting comments that refs either call too much or not enough, that consistency is an issue. Fans and coaches are commenting that refs are taking the rules not literal enough and calling the game on how they "interpret" the rule. Example, battles under the hoop for position have become overly aggressive without calls, travels are never called enough yet we continue to call "ticky-tac" fouls. I watch games as much to watch the refs and what/how they call versus the players themselves. My fellow refs and I discuss these issues on the way to games and, for the first time, I hear refs being somewhat critical of other refs. Our state, Michigan, recently went to having boys and girls basketball seasons combined. There are many weeks where we ref up to 8 games (JV and V) a week. I see guys getting tired. Are you guys finding the same in your areas?
First of all, the hardest thing for ANY ONE OFFICIAL to be -- in any sport -- is consistent. Not consistent with OTHER OFFICIALS, just being consistent with other calls THEY MAKE during a game.

While we have rules interpretation meetings and local meetings every year, you are never going to get every official to call the exact same game. While it may be an admirable goal, that will never happen.

AND IF IT DID, that level of calling of the game would not make ALL COACHES, PLAYERS AND SPECTATORS (fans, parents, etc.) happy!!!

Coaches all want that "rough play in the post" foul called -- right up until the time his STUD-OF-A-POST-PLAYER picks up his 2nd foul with 5:12 remaining in the first quarter.

Coaches all want that travel call -- when they are on the defensive end. Coaches all want the physical play called a foul -- when they are on the offensive end. Coaches all want the bump by the defender while their point guard is dribbling up the floor. Those same coaches want the push off call AGAINST the point guard when their team is on defense.

Consistency comes with experience -- and with mentoring. Consistency can only happen when the official can get into position to make the call. Physically fit, experienced officials tend to be the most consistent.

Are officials getting worse? I don't think so. I think that the desire (need?) to win is getting more intense. I think that the pressure to win is greater today. I think that the "me first" quality of people is causing a more biased view of games over time. The kids are also in the weight room a lot more than they were in the 70s, 80s, 90s and before. Therefore, the game is a bit quicker.

The biggest challenge of sports is that each team (and all of their supporters) wants to win very badly. This desire to win clouds judgment. The officials do not care who wins. Therefore, while they may not always be consistent, their judgment is not affected by a desire to see one team or the other win the game.

As for officials being critical of other officials, this has gone on for as long as I can remember.

Last edited by CMHCoachNRef; Mon Feb 23, 2009 at 08:28am.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
First of all, the hardest thing for ANY ONE OFFICIAL to be -- in any sport -- is consistent. Not consistent with OTHER OFFICIALS, just being consistent with other calls THEY MAKE during a game.

While we have rules interpretation meetings and local meetings every year, you are never going to get every official to call the exact same game. While it may be an admirable goal, that will never happen.

AND IF IT DID, that level of calling of the game would not make ALL COACHES, PLAYERS AND SPECTATORS (fans, parents, etc.) happy!!!

Coaches all want that "rough play in the post" foul called -- right up until the time his STUD-OF-A-POST-PLAYER picks up his 2nd foul with 5:12 remaining in the first quarter.

Coaches all want that travel call -- when they are on the defensive end. Coaches all want the physical play called a foul -- when they are on the offensive end. Coaches all want the bump by the defender while their point guard is dribbling up the floor. Those same coaches want the push off call AGAINST the point guard when their team is on defense.

Consistency comes with experience -- and with mentoring. Consistency can only happen when the official can get into position to make the call. Physically fit, experienced officials tend to be the most consistent.

Are officials getting worse? I don't think so. I think that the desire (need?) to win is getting more intense. I think that the pressure to win is greater today. I think that the "me first" quality of people is causing a more biased view of games over time. The kids are also in the weight room a lot more than they were in the 70s, 80s, 90s and before. Therefore, the game is a bit quicker.

The biggest challenge of sports is that each team (and all of their supporters) wants to win very badly. This desire to win clouds judgment. The officials do not care who wins. Therefore, while they may not always be consistent, their judgment is not affected by a desire to see one team or the other win the game.

As for officials being critical of other officials, this has gone on for as long as I can remember.
CMH....Well said!
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

I think when it comes coaches and their reactions to officials, we have to understand the perspective a coach is coming from. Coaches are used to being in total control of their programs, their kids and what not. When sitting on the sideline, there is so much that coaches cannot control. I think by nature, to be a good coach, you have to be very controlling of all aspect of basketball. When you add two the three officials to a game, coaches cannot control them. No matter what they say, what they do, or how much they pray, they can and will not ever control those officials. And I think that is very frustrating to coaches.

I was sitting with some of my coaching colleagues recently, and I posed that questions. I asked, do you ever feel like you are not in control during a game. Each one said they hated that feeling. The kids can be unpredictable and in some cases, many coaches think that way about the officials. This lack of control has truly made coaching from my perspective, not as much fun. As I have posted earlier this year, this is my last year in coaching as I am frustrated as I am willing to get. For me, its not the officiating. I truly believe that 99% of all officials go out and give their best each game as do the kids. What has frustrated me personally is that lack of control when the kids are playing, and above all else is the parents and their lack of self control. Remember, every time you all hear the "genius" parent in the stands screaming something stupid or idiotic, the coach has already head that complaint every game. Then its my fault that little timmy is not going to duke or texas or what not because he only plays 5 minutes a game.

Parents will be the ruin of athletics long before the coaches.