View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
First of all, the hardest thing for ANY ONE OFFICIAL to be -- in any sport -- is consistent. Not consistent with OTHER OFFICIALS, just being consistent with other calls THEY MAKE during a game.

While we have rules interpretation meetings and local meetings every year, you are never going to get every official to call the exact same game. While it may be an admirable goal, that will never happen.

AND IF IT DID, that level of calling of the game would not make ALL COACHES, PLAYERS AND SPECTATORS (fans, parents, etc.) happy!!!

Coaches all want that "rough play in the post" foul called -- right up until the time his STUD-OF-A-POST-PLAYER picks up his 2nd foul with 5:12 remaining in the first quarter.

Coaches all want that travel call -- when they are on the defensive end. Coaches all want the physical play called a foul -- when they are on the offensive end. Coaches all want the bump by the defender while their point guard is dribbling up the floor. Those same coaches want the push off call AGAINST the point guard when their team is on defense.

Consistency comes with experience -- and with mentoring. Consistency can only happen when the official can get into position to make the call. Physically fit, experienced officials tend to be the most consistent.

Are officials getting worse? I don't think so. I think that the desire (need?) to win is getting more intense. I think that the pressure to win is greater today. I think that the "me first" quality of people is causing a more biased view of games over time. The kids are also in the weight room a lot more than they were in the 70s, 80s, 90s and before. Therefore, the game is a bit quicker.

The biggest challenge of sports is that each team (and all of their supporters) wants to win very badly. This desire to win clouds judgment. The officials do not care who wins. Therefore, while they may not always be consistent, their judgment is not affected by a desire to see one team or the other win the game.

As for officials being critical of other officials, this has gone on for as long as I can remember.
CMH....Well said!