View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

I think when it comes coaches and their reactions to officials, we have to understand the perspective a coach is coming from. Coaches are used to being in total control of their programs, their kids and what not. When sitting on the sideline, there is so much that coaches cannot control. I think by nature, to be a good coach, you have to be very controlling of all aspect of basketball. When you add two the three officials to a game, coaches cannot control them. No matter what they say, what they do, or how much they pray, they can and will not ever control those officials. And I think that is very frustrating to coaches.

I was sitting with some of my coaching colleagues recently, and I posed that questions. I asked, do you ever feel like you are not in control during a game. Each one said they hated that feeling. The kids can be unpredictable and in some cases, many coaches think that way about the officials. This lack of control has truly made coaching from my perspective, not as much fun. As I have posted earlier this year, this is my last year in coaching as I am frustrated as I am willing to get. For me, its not the officiating. I truly believe that 99% of all officials go out and give their best each game as do the kids. What has frustrated me personally is that lack of control when the kids are playing, and above all else is the parents and their lack of self control. Remember, every time you all hear the "genius" parent in the stands screaming something stupid or idiotic, the coach has already head that complaint every game. Then its my fault that little timmy is not going to duke or texas or what not because he only plays 5 minutes a game.

Parents will be the ruin of athletics long before the coaches.