The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

What constitutes a sub reporting?

Had a pretty good BV game last night, in a fairly loud gym. My question is, what constitutes a sub as giving their number to the score keeper? The keeper said the visiting players were not verbally giving their number when they reported, and that they were only walking up and pulling out (not untucking) the front of their jersey to show the number.
To me, if the score keeper sees this, then he should also see the number and realize who is reporting in. I know most score keepers have no problem with this as "reporting" but it did get me thinking about what is considered legally reporting.

(My first post!)
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 10:47am
Courageous When Prudent

I believe at one time (before I became an official) that is was required for players to report their numbers to the table.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

I have never had a scorekeeper keep track of whose reported in. And what is the penalty if the dont report the number.... Tell the keeper to get over it...

If it is part of the quarter thing that some states have , they should be bale to get the number walking on the floor....
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 10:56am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I believe at one time (before I became an official) that is was required for players to report their numbers to the table.
And the reason I said this is that I remember back in my military playing days being told I need to report my number then one season being told by table personnel that the rule had changed and it was no longer a requirement.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Well if a player does not report to the scorer then it is a technical foul against them. And yeah I think that the score keeper was being uptight since he saw the jersey and could see the number. But my question is what constitutes reporting? Do they verbally have to give their number, show them their number, etc....
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

A substitute who desires to enter shall report to the scorer, giving his/her number. If he doesn't verbalize it, the scorer should still be able to hopefully read it.

They're no longer required to give the number of the player they're replacing.

I'd tell the scorer to chill out.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 11:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

I know it's going to be a long night when a scorer tries to exhibit a little authority.

I had one last season who told me I couldn't whistle in a sub who was still walking to the table. I told the scorer to think again. Of course, half the time the sub would be sitting there and there'd be no horn and the only sound WAS my whistle...
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, at the time I was not sure if the rules said they had to verbalize or not and it was the second half, so I couldn't check my book at the half. I did just ask the coach to make sure they could verbalize better. I think the scorer was just uptight because it was a "big game" and they were playing the team that is usually at the top of the conference.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 11:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDog249 View Post
Yeah, at the time I was not sure if the rules said they had to verbalize or not and it was the second half, so I couldn't check my book at the half. I did just ask the coach to make sure they could verbalize better. I think the scorer was just uptight because it was a "big game" and they were playing the team that is usually at the top of the conference.
Sounds like the scorer was fishing for a T.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Sounds like the scorer was fishing for a T.
Noobs: this is an obscure reference and a joke.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 04:45pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Personally, I'm happy if they at least come down to where my timer partner and I sit. I even put an X down on the floor at the star of each year. All too many times, teams will just have their subs kneel at the far end of the table and unless we spot them there, we don't know they want to enter game.

{Quote by RichMSN} I had one last season who told me I couldn't whistle in a sub who was still walking to the table. {/quote}

Hmm, a local well respected college official I know once told my former college table crew that subs had to be at the table and that a coach or player calling out "sub! sub! sub!" doesn't get them in the game. This isn't volleyball after all. Now if the offical wants to let them in early, I'm sure not going to argue.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 06:28pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
Personally, I'm happy if they at least come down to where my timer partner and I sit. I even put an X down on the floor at the star of each year. All too many times, teams will just have their subs kneel at the far end of the table and unless we spot them there, we don't know they want to enter game.

{Quote by RichMSN} I had one last season who told me I couldn't whistle in a sub who was still walking to the table. {/quote}

Hmm, a local well respected college official I know once told my former college table crew that subs had to be at the table and that a coach or player calling out "sub! sub! sub!" doesn't get them in the game. This isn't volleyball after all. Now if the offical wants to let them in early, I'm sure not going to argue.
I'd rather not hold up the game and I'm sure not going to put the ball in play while a sub is walking to the table. I'll pick other battles.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I'd rather not hold up the game and I'm sure not going to put the ball in play while a sub is walking to the table. I'll pick other battles.
OTOH, if my partner is ready to administer the throw-in, I'm not waiting on the sub.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 08:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
OTOH, if my partner is ready to administer the throw-in, I'm not waiting on the sub.
That's when I would blow my whistle and beckon, even if the sub is still a few steps from the X.