The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Wrong way kid...

After administering the jump at a middle school game a couple of weeks ago player A1 gains possession and immediately drives to the wrong hoop and scores a lay-in at team B's basket despite his coach & parent's screams. I was very unsure of what call to make and so (knowing it was probably not correct) I called a violation and gave team B the baseline on their own end while keeping the possession arrow to team B as well.

I looked later for some clarification and found a NIRSA book that says the correct call (when the official feels the mistake was accidental) is to award the 2 points to team A and continue to go the wrong way until the next whistle, at which point you direct the teams to the correct sides. Doesn't that sound kind of crazy? Did I misread the book?

Thanks
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 01:10am
We don't rent pigs

Where did he gain control? Could have been a backcourt violation?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Where did he gain control? Could have been a backcourt violation?
It would have made the call much easier if it had been in the front court that the player gained possession but it was in his backcourt that the initial possession occurred.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 01:31am
We don't rent pigs

In that case when the score is made in the wrong basket you score it, then stop the game immediately and point the teams in the right direction. Play will resume with a throw-in by the team that just threw it in the wrong basket.
4-5-4

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Fri Feb 20, 2009 at 03:22am.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 03:19am
Official Forum Member

same player twice in one game

first time off the jump ball, second time after a steal near mid court just before the ball had crossed the division line. The second time, she actually speed dribbled past one teammate who was trying to stop her and cross over dribbled another before laying it in. I'm not making this up, I have video.

One of the best athletes I've ever coached, but not one of the brighter ones.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

Forrest Gumpette?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcoach7 View Post
first time off the jump ball, second time after a steal near mid court just before the ball had crossed the division line. The second time, she actually speed dribbled past one teammate who was trying to stop her and cross over dribbled another before laying it in. I'm not making this up, I have video.

One of the best athletes I've ever coached, but not one of the brighter ones.

Any relation?
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNH IM Ref View Post
After administering the jump at a middle school game a couple of weeks ago player A1 gains possession and immediately drives to the wrong hoop and scores a lay-in at team B's basket despite his coach & parent's screams. I was very unsure of what call to make and so (knowing it was probably not correct) I called a violation and gave team B the baseline on their own end while keeping the possession arrow to team B as well.

I looked later for some clarification and found a NIRSA book that says the correct call (when the official feels the mistake was accidental) is to award the 2 points to team A and continue to go the wrong way until the next whistle, at which point you direct the teams to the correct sides. Doesn't that sound kind of crazy? Did I misread the book?

Thanks
You have four possible scenarios in this case.
1. Jumpers lined up properly, ball tapped to the backcourt for A2 and A2shoots at B's basket,
2. Jumpers lined up properly, ball tapped to the frontcourt for A2 and A2 shoots at B's basket (after crossing the division line),
3. Jumpers lined up reversed, ball tapped backward (to A2 actual FRONTCOURT) and A2 shoots at A's basket (even though it APPEARED to be B's basket based on the way the team's lined up),
4. Jumpers lined up reversed, ball tapped forward (to A2 actual BACKCOURT), A2 crosses the division line and A2 shoots at B's basket (even though it APPEARED to be A's Basket).

1. 2 points awarded to team B. A2 committed no violation (backcourt violation). Ball went in and through B's basket. To avoid further confusion, official should blow whistle and announce the situation. Team A throw-in along the endline.
2. Throw-in to Team B at the division line since A2 committed a backcourt violation when he crossed from his frontcourt (team control established) and dribbled into the backcourt (last to touch in frontcourt and first to touch in the backcourt 9-9-3).
3. Basket counts for Team A. Per Case 5.2.1E:
JUMPERS FACING WRONG DIRECTION
5.2.1 SITUATION E: During the pregame practice period, the visiting team
properly uses the east goal and the home team the west goal. The officials, by mistake, allow the jumpers to face the wrong direction to start the game. A1 controls the tap by tapping the ball back to A2. A2, realizing that he/she had warmed up at the basket behind A1, dribbles to that basket and scores an uncontested basket. RULING: Score the basket for Team A. The officials should stop the game and emphasize to both teams the proper direction. The mistake is an official's error by allowing A1 and B1 to face the wrong direction; not a correctable error. NOTE: I assume that the same ruling would apply if the visiting team had properly used the west goal.
4. Basket counts for Team A. Per Case 5.2.1F:
5.2.1 SITUATION F: During the pregame practice period, the visiting team
properly uses the east goal and the home team the west goal. The officials, by mistake, allow the jumpers to face the wrong direction to start the game. Several baskets are scored before it is recognized that both teams are throwing the ball into the opponent' basket. RULING: All points scored count as if the teams had gone the right direction and scored in their own basket. Once the mistake is recognized, play shall continue with each team attempting to score in its own basket. (4-5-4).
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
4. Jumpers lined up reversed, ball tapped forward (to A2 actual BACKCOURT), A2 crosses the division line and A2 shoots at B's basket (even though it APPEARED to be A's Basket).
CMH, the rules citations are fine but this scenario doesn't happen. If jumpers line up wrong and the ball is tapped forward and then A2 crosses the division line, that means A2 is going back toward the ACTUAL A basket. No backcourt violation, basket counts. Officials should still blow it dead post-scoring and clarify the situation.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

I dunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by williebfree View Post
Any relation?
what's your last name? you may be related.