The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 11:23pm
#thereferee99

A tale of 2 partners.

In my local HS association, there is an Arbiter-based evaluation system.

Earlier in the season I had two partners who I gave fairly equal, if less than flattering evals based on their performances. I was once again paired with the both of them this week -- what an eye-opener!

Tonight I had Partner B and he was EXACTLY the same. Quirky, hard to get into rythym with. I point to an inbounds spot, he makes stuff up and takes it in somewhere else. I mean, even if your partner is wrong about a backcourt violation being inbounded at the spot of the violation, does it make sense to 'overrule' him and wag yer head and point to the division line? Heck, you can royally have yer head up yer ***, but I will honor your indication of where the ball will be inbounded. LOL.

Yesterday, Partner A did a 180° on me! In our last game he had an ipod under his jacket during warmups! "Partner, I've got 11 down here... er, PARTNER!!"

Officiated our previous game from half court as the trail, we were never in sync. Tired? Bored? dunno, but it wasn't fun.

Last night, we have a Boys JV contest that ultimately goes double OT. I couldn't have asked for a better partner. On the same page all night, good communicator, we were in sync.

I guess you can't always hold a persons performance on one night up as their 'quality' EVERY time. Most of the time probably, but you can have redemption!
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 12:38am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
I mean, even if your partner is wrong about a backcourt violation being inbounded at the spot of the violation, does it make sense to 'overrule' him and wag yer head and point to the division line?

referee99:

I hate to break the news to you, but, when a backcourt violation occurs, the throw-in as at a spot closest to where the violation occured. For example, if Team A committed the backcourt violation in Team B's free thorw lane, Team B would get the ball on endline in its frontcourt at the free throw lane extended.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 12:43am
Administrator

And for something completely different:

We have all worked with the partner from Hell. BUT, I do not believe in evaluating an official based upon a game where you were partners. Long ago in the ancient days when I officiated in Dade County, Florida, we were expected to evaluate our partners, and if we didn't we would not get any game assigned to us. No matter how good or bad my partner was, I would give him a neutral evaluation. I did that because it was a stupid way of evaluating an official and because I was a young official and enough problems of mine own.

Just my humble opinion.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
referee99:

I hate to break the news to you, but, when a backcourt violation occurs, the throw-in as at a spot closest to where the violation occured. For example, if Team A committed the backcourt violation in Team B's free thorw lane, Team B would get the ball on endline in its frontcourt at the free throw lane extended.

MTD, Sr.
Mark I believe he is referring to himself as the partner and saying that his partner inbounded the ball at the division line.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 01:05am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishstripes View Post
Mark I believe he is referring to himself as the partner and saying that his partner inbounded the ball at the division line.

shishstripes:

I'll buy that, especially since I should be in bed asleep, .

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 10:03am
#thereferee99

mtd, i know!

Quote:
referee99:

MTD, Sr.
so, when i'm trail, follow ball into the backcourt, whistle the violation and give the inbounds spot as sideline near 28' mark, but partner stops at division line shaking his head and pointing there... well, there you have it!
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 10:07am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
so, when i'm trail, follow ball into the backcourt, whistle the violation and give the inbounds spot as sideline near 28' mark, but partner stops at division line shaking his head and pointing there... well, there you have it!
Point to the throw-in spot that you know is correct, call the non-offending team to that spot, and either: force a switch with him needing to go to L, or you bounce the ball to the thrower-in and continue to the L position.

Don't even listen or ackowledge your partner's error; and even if he doesn't bring it up at half-time, tell him that he needs to review that violation.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We have all worked with the partner from Hell. BUT, I do not believe in evaluating an official based upon a game where you were partners.
Just my humble opinion.

MTD, Sr.
Ideally you would want to have both your partners and an observer evaluate you during a game. There are definitely things that a partner will see/recognize/observe during a game that a courtside observer will not see and vice versa.....

After working a game w/ someone, I definitely know if a partner can officiate or not. If I were an assignor, I would want to know an officials opinion about someone becuase they may have to work with him in a game....
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I won't see him.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 12:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Last night, we have a Boys JV contest that ultimately goes double OT. I couldn't have asked for a better partner.
Aren't those two statements incongruous?
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 12:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I won't see him.
Most likely you're right. I had a partner the other night who did this. I had a BC and saw where he was heading, so I threw the ball to the correct spot. He chased it and walked back to the line.

Actually, that's generous. He administered about 8 feet into the new backcourt rather than 2 feet into the new FC. I noticed he did his quarter throw-ins there, too.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Along these lines.....

My main assignor puts me on a few JV games every season, usually just single games with 3 man crews. Anyway, we had a ball go into the backcourt and it wasn't touched until it was on near the baseline. I whistle the violation and point to the spot near the baseline to inbound. The small crowd starts making noise and questioning the call because we are down on the baseline. When I end up by the home coach, he says, "I thought that was over and back?" I say, loud enough for the couple of rows of fans behind the bench, "Yes, it was, but the violation does not occur until the ball is touched. The in bound spot is the spot nearest the violation which in the case was on the baseline."

The whole crowd sounds like my students when I show them something obvious they missed in a problem solving exercise. OOOOHHHHHH. We get it now.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 01:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It's nice when those opportunities present themselves.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 01:46pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
The whole crowd sounds like my students when I show them something obvious they missed in a problem solving exercise. OOOOHHHHHH. We get it now.
I love that reaction. I get it almost everyday in my classroom...about once in a blue moon at a basketball game. Wish it were the other way around sometimes!
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 01:46pm
#thereferee99

Mark, I thought of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Aren't those two statements incongruous?

With about a minute to go in the 3rd quarter, Visitors up by 13, partner says, "Maybe overtime" in a joking way. I said "hey how about two!" ala Ernie Banks. As the words came out, I thought of you!