The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 05:00pm
Eschew obfuscation.

I got recommended!

So I get a call yesterday from an unknown number. Since I am not employed currently, I thought it might be a company that I have recently applied to, so I picked up. It was an official that saw me referee a JVB game a couple of weeks ago. He asked me a couple of questions about the Varsity game, as I stayed and watched their game after my JV game was over. After a short conversation, he then told me that he has recommended me to Ron Hoover and that I should attend his camp in June. He said that my mechanics and judgement are solid enough, and I am young enough (I'm 24, btw) that he would like to see me make the move to doing some Jr. College ball next season.

I'm pretty stoked about this as I've only been licensed for two years now, and I've only done a handful of Varsity games. (I have been all over the country officiating numerous Extramural tournaments for five years though, and I have received a lot of feedback from them). He said that Ron takes into consideration guys that get recommended to the camp, and I am very excited to see what comes of it! I realize that it takes a lot of work to get noticed, but I just had to relish in the fact that he called me out of the blue to invite me to the camp!
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Caveat Emptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
... He said that Ron takes into consideration guys that get recommended to the camp, and I am very excited to see what comes of it! I realize that it takes a lot of work to get noticed, but I just had to relish in the fact that he called me out of the blue to invite me to the camp!
It is always a great feeling to get positive appraisals of our efforts on the court!

A hint of caution from a sage veteran.... I suspect Ron also "takes into consideration" a reduced rate for officials who recruit others to participate in "Ron's" camp.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 05:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Congrats on the recommendation. Unless this camp is an exclusive camp, being recommended might get you known before you get there, but you will still have to perform. Not knowing this individual it might be possible that they are looking to fill spots in a camp. I would need to know more about the camp before I was confident the recommendation really was meaningful.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 05:21pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Thanks for the heads up about that, but I was aware of guys getting reduced rates. I'm still just excited enough to 1) not really care about it, and 2) officiate to the best of my ability to see how well I can do there.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Some supervisors like young guys who they can mold before they've developed too many bad habits.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
So I get a call yesterday from an unknown number. Since I am not employed currently, I thought it might be a company that I have recently applied to, so I picked up. It was an official that saw me referee a JVB game a couple of weeks ago. He asked me a couple of questions about the Varsity game, as I stayed and watched their game after my JV game was over. After a short conversation, he then told me that he has recommended me to Ron Hoover and that I should attend his camp in June. He said that my mechanics and judgement are solid enough, and I am young enough (I'm 24, btw) that he would like to see me make the move to doing some Jr. College ball next season.

I'm pretty stoked about this as I've only been licensed for two years now, and I've only done a handful of Varsity games. (I have been all over the country officiating numerous Extramural tournaments for five years though, and I have received a lot of feedback from them). He said that Ron takes into consideration guys that get recommended to the camp, and I am very excited to see what comes of it! I realize that it takes a lot of work to get noticed, but I just had to relish in the fact that he called me out of the blue to invite me to the camp!
Just a heads up: Ron Hoover is the supervisor for Women's Basketball in 3 conferences. Send me a pm if you want more info on his camps.

Last edited by love2refbball; Thu Feb 19, 2009 at 02:00pm.