The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Fellow Officials,
During a varsity game last weekend, the following situation occured and I would like help on the correct application of the traveling rule. A1 in possession of the ball, jumps to pass....B1 slaps the ball loose from A1 who although never having given up total control of the ball, grasps the ball while both ball and player are in the air, and returns to the floor. I signaled for a violation, called traveling and basically continued the game without any questions or comments. I wondered later during my game evaluation whether the call was correct or not. What do you think?
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

From what you described, it sounds like the player lost control, but the ball never hit the ground. I think there would be no violation, but it sounds like a play that would have to be seen in order to rule on it.
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

If the ball came out of A1's hands, then A1 grabbed it again, it's a nothing. A1 can dribble, pass, or shoot.
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 06:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

[quote]Originally posted by PatLynch on 02-29-2000 02:50 PM
B1 slaps the ball loose from A1 who although never having given up total control of the ball, quote]

The two items mentioned in this part of your post are mutually exclusive. If B1 slapped the ball loose, then A1 gave up player control. If A1 never lost player control, then B1 didn't slap the ball loose. You cannot have it both ways.

Player control is defined as holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds. If the bat by B1 made A1 not hold the ball, then there is a loss of player control and A1 can recatch the ball and do what he wants. If the attempted bat did not make A1 stop holding the ball, then he still has player control and you have a travel.

From the way you wrote it, it sounds like A1 lost player control.

Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Is it possible to have a jump ball? If A1 jumps to pass and B1's batting of ball forces him back to the floor... I think i would have to see the play. But, it does sound like a no call.
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

If B1 slapped the ball while A1 was in the air, and A1 never lost control and came back down with it, wouldn't that be a held ball?

Rule 4-25-2: "A held ball occurs when an opponent places his/her hands(s) on the ball and prevents an airborne player from throwing the ball or releasing it on a try."

Seems that this rule only applies if A1 maintains control of the ball. If A1 loses control temporarily, and then comes back down, I think it's a no-call.
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 11:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

quote:
Originally posted by Brian S on 02-29-2000 10:20 PM
If B1 slapped the ball while A1 was in the air, and A1 never lost control and came back down with it, wouldn't that be a held ball?

Rule 4-25-2: "A held ball occurs when an opponent places his/her hands(s) on the ball and prevents an airborne player from throwing the ball or releasing it on a try."

As your quote indicates, that's only the case on a try. The original post said A1 was trying to pass the ball, not shoot. Read my post above for the rule.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2000, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Brian S on 02-29-2000 10:20 PM

I'd say this rule indicates it CAN be a held ball on either a pass or on a shot. If the guy is in the air, the "D" gets a hand on it so it doesn't leave the passer's hands, and then he lands with the ball, sounds to me like a held ball. That way we don't have to try to decide if a player was actually trying to shoot the ball or just passing. Held ball, either way.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2000, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

If the ball clearly left the players hands, I would have let them play on.

But if the ball didn't leave the "vicinity" of the hands...then I most likely would have called a jump ball.