The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 12:17pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
If you're only interested in practical threads, then stop right now, and move onto the next thread, because this is one of those strictly by the book situations.

Last free throw attempt. Two person crew (it's Connecticut, what can I say?). I'm trail, opposite table, of course. My partner is lead, tableside, of course. Shooter misses everything, to the right side of the rim, which happened to be opposite the table, and the ball hits the floor on the side of the lane opposite the table. I blow my whistle for the violation, and stay in my position ready to become the new lead after the throwin for the free throw violation, when I notice that my partner, who was tableside, is moving to the side of the lane opposite tableside. So I rotate over to tableside, to become the new lead, as he hands the ball to the throw in player opposite table side on the endline.

At halftime, I ask him why he forced me to rotate, and he replied that the violation was on that side of the lane. My question is, was he right? I might add that I am not a lazy official. I don't mind rotating when I'm supposed to. When I'm the lead, putting the ball in play after a foul, or violation, in the lane, and if the foul, or violation, is more than a few inches one side, or the other, of the basket line, I'm putting the ball in play on that side of the lane, and I expect my partner, as trail, to rotate, if need be; and I would expect my partner, as the lead, to do the same thing, and I would rotate as the trail.

Here's the relevant part of the rule:

RULE 9 VIOLATIONS
SECTION 1 FREE-THROW PROVISIONS
ART. 3 . . . After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower:
a. He/she shall throw within 10 seconds to cause the ball to enter the basket
or touch the ring before the free throw ends.
PENALTIES: (Section 1)
1. If the first or only violation is by the free thrower or a teammate, the ball
becomes dead when the violation occurs and no point can be scored by
that throw. The following out-of-bounds provisions apply if no further free
throws are to be administered:
a. If the violation occurs during a free throw for a personal foul, other
than intentional or flagrant, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a
throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation.

In my mind, the violation is for not touching the ring, which is exactly on the basket line, so the throwin can be made from any side of the lane, so the officials can just stay where they were.

In my partner's mind, the violation was where the ball hit the floor, instead of the ring, so the throwin would be on the side where the ball hit the floor, which could force a rotation.

Also, if the violation was for an offensive player entering the lane too early, I, as the lead, would make the throwin from the side of the lane on which the violation occurred, which could cause a rotation.

The same philosophy might apply to a three second violation, which is also "awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation". Where is the violation? Was the violation that the player was inside the lane rather than being outside the lane, in which case the throwin could be from either side of the lane, or was the violation that the player was in a particular spot in the lane after three seconds, which could be closer to one side of the lane than the other, which could initiate a rotation?

Billy:

I guess from a strictly rule book interpretation your partner was correct. Having said that, I would have smacked my partner upside his head with a lead pipe and told him to never (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley) do that again.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 12:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Three Seconds, Lead Forces Rotation ???

Quote:
The same philosophy might apply to a three second violation, which is also "awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation". Where is the violation? Was the violation that the player was inside the lane rather than being outside the lane, in which case the throwin could be from either side of the lane, or was the violation that the player was in a particular spot in the lane after three seconds, which could be closer to one side of the lane than the other, which could initiate a rotation?
Does anyone have an opinion on this part, same mechanic question, but this time involving a three second violation, of my original post?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 12:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Where Did The Violation Occur ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK View Post
With that said I have seen and worked with individuals on a bc violation who inbounded the ball at the division line, rather than the sideline or endline closes to were the ball was first touched by A (i.e. where the violation occurred.) So I think that logic prevails.
This is the play that came to mind when this situation first happened, in that, some officials don't fully understand the concept of closest to the spot of the violation. I don't want to be one of those officials, which was the purpose of my original post, i.e., where did the violation occur?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Me too. What's the right way?
The right way for me is not to force a switch if it is not needed.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 01:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Location: Mililani, HI, Boy Are You Rubbing Our Face In It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
The right way for me is not to force a switch if it is not needed.
It may be right for you, but how about NFHS, IAABO, NCAAM, NCAAW, or FIBA. I'll even take a citation from the NBA.

Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess from a strictly rule book interpretation your partner was correct.
How could he be correct? He stated the violation was where the ball hit the floor. That's wrong. The ball could be stuck up somewhere, never hit the floor, and still be a violation.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

I guessed I missed something....

Rarely (Cant think of many times) that you switch on a violation . Why waste the time switching here (OP)? The ball is going OOB on the baseline and coming back in. Bounce the ball and go...

Bouncing the ball across the paint is no big deal. Stepping under the basket and bouncing ball is no big deal, walking across the paint to hand the ball is no big deal and less than switching.

You just switched for the foul and now you're right back where you were before the foul call....