The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Defensive foul?

I'm very new at basketball i'm not really sure about all the rules yet but I need something clarified. My question is it legal to block your opponent by constantly bumping him or slamming him with your body? Whenever I have the ball, my bro would constantly bump me with his body and his body is always physically contacting me, preventing me from moving. Also it legal to try to slap the ball out of my hand? That's all thanks.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreossjmw View Post
I'm very new at basketball i'm not really sure about all the rules yet but I need something clarified. My question is it legal to block your opponent by constantly bumping him or slamming him with your body? Whenever I have the ball, my bro would constantly bump me with his body and his body is always physically contacting me, preventing me from moving. Also it legal to try to slap the ball out of my hand? That's all thanks.

1) If he has legal guarding position, then he may move to maintain it. He may not move "forward" into you. That said, it sounds as if yuou are playing in your driveway or the local park. Learn to deal with the contact. IT will make you a better player.

2) Of course he can try to slap the ball out of your hand.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. Just need to ask what do you mean by moving forward into you? Cause what he would do is actually hit me with his body. as in physically hit me hard enough with his body to push me aside. He is physically on me all the time. Here is the example I'm going for. I'm dribbling the ball. While I'm dribbling the ball, he would constantly if not always hit me with his body as in his whole body very hard to imbalance me or push me aside. He would also charge at me. Also what is a legal guarding position?

Last edited by kreossjmw; Sat Feb 14, 2009 at 05:58pm.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

A coaches response

If your "bro" is coming up so close that he's touching you and creating the contact by "bodying up" on you, then no, it's not legal. It's a blocking foul. But if he is moving his feet quickly to anticipate where you want to go (with or without the ball) and you run into him because he got there first, then you created the contact. A defender can't even place their hand on you and leave it there. Defense gets away with a brief touch (hand) constantly, but if you leave the hand there the Refs will call the foul. So if you're being guarded with a body literally on top of you, it's definetly a foul.

But... any Referee would likely say that he'd have to see the play.

EDIT: sounds to me like he's fouling the **** outa you man! Put some shoulder pads on him and point him at a football field

Last edited by bbcoach7; Sat Feb 14, 2009 at 06:03pm.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

I see. thanks alot for the clarification.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 08:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ??? Mythbusters ...

It is legal use of hands to accidentally hit the hand of the opponent when it is in contact with the ball. This includes holding, dribbling, passing, or even during a shot attempt. Striking a ball handler or a shooter on that player's hand that is incidental to an attempt to play the ball is not a foul, no matter how loud it sounds or how much it hurts.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

yeah i'm okay with the slapping the ball out of my hand but I'm not okay with his body slamming at me all the time. The way it looks like, he's trying to tackle me without grabbing me. His said to me its perfectly legal because he's not using his hands to grab or hold me.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 10:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreossjmw View Post
yeah i'm okay with the slapping the ball out of my hand but I'm not okay with his body slamming at me all the time. The way it looks like, he's trying to tackle me without grabbing me. His said to me its perfectly legal because he's not using his hands to grab or hold me.
Pick-up ball is what it is, but if you're going by the rules, he's wrong.