The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Special needs player

I get the good stuff every now and then that just makes up for the junk. 4th Q of boys JV game Friday night. Easy game. Nothing unusual to call. Lopsided score. With about 2 1/2 minutes V subs in a kid with a big grin on his face. He's a special needs player. Coach yells, "Work it in to _____. (the sub)." ______ gets the ball pivots and swished a 3. All net! Big grin becomes a HUGE grin! Fans are whooping it up! H goes down court and scores. V bring the ball back down and coach repeats, "Work it in to ______." They never can get him the ball again, but when the final horn blows the kid walks over to the bench looking like he just won an olympic medal. Good stuff, guys. Really good stuff.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 05:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
I get the good stuff every now and then that just makes up for the junk. 4th Q of boys JV game Friday night. Easy game. Nothing unusual to call. Lopsided score. With about 2 1/2 minutes V subs in a kid with a big grin on his face. He's a special needs player. Coach yells, "Work it in to _____. (the sub)." ______ gets the ball pivots and swished a 3. All net! Big grin becomes a HUGE grin! Fans are whooping it up! H goes down court and scores. V bring the ball back down and coach repeats, "Work it in to ______." They never can get him the ball again, but when the final horn blows the kid walks over to the bench looking like he just won an olympic medal. Good stuff, guys. Really good stuff.
I love this stuff. Had a JVG team this year (twice) that had such a player. Team was pretty decent and well disciplined for JV, but every time this girl got in and got the ball, coach would tell her to shoot. She never did score, but even taking the shot seemed to bring her joy.

Last edited by Adam; Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 06:06pm.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 06:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Makes Me Proud To Be A Part Of This Game ...

Great posts. I've already signed up for the Special Olympics Unified Games in March. I can't wait.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

There was a video floating around youtube a couple of weeks ago of a situation like this. They put in some kid and he proceeded to knock down like 6 3 pointers in a row. I'm thinking: why don't you play this kid ALL the time with that kind of shooting accuracy!
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 06:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Found It, It's Worth Checking Out ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
There was a video floating around youtube a couple of weeks ago of a situation like this. They put in some kid and he proceeded to knock down like 6 3 pointers in a row. I'm thinking: why don't you play this kid ALL the time with that kind of shooting accuracy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fw1C...next=1&index=1
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 09:50pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
J-Mac's game took place a couple years ago...all over the media, especially ESPN. They did a great story on "Outside The Lines" on him and that game. I Tivo'd it and I look at it about once a month to keep perspective.

Most recently he appeared in a Nike commercial.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Just watched the video. Who stole my stupid Kleenex box!!! I agree with the AD. If last Friday had been my last game of the season, even over some very good V mactches, it would be the one that got me pumped for next fall.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post

Some games you want to forget. Some games you hope you never forget!
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 11:13am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I love this stuff. Had a JVG team this year (twice) that had such a player. Team was pretty decent and well disciplined for JV, but every time this girl got in and got the ball, coach would tell her to shoot. She never did score, but even taking the shot seemed to bring her joy.
Similar situation here with a FB from one of our major schools. Coach always reminds us before the game. The player hasn't made a basket yet (while I've been there anyhow), but it certainly is exciting, fun and a great gesture on everyone's part.